Episode 2: Introspection

M.A.I.D.S. Episode 2 – Introspection

Adam stared deep into Pandora's eyes, a gaze she returned unfazed. With a motion of his hand the room changed from its provocative glow to an accusatory incandescence. Their eye-lock, however, did not waver. His was a look that rapidly shifted through several loud emotions, while her aspect was a silent plea.

"Say something," Adam said. He got up and pulled his house-shirt on, then went to a recessed wardrobe and grabbed another. This second one he kindly tossed to Pandora, who was looking increasingly more uncomfortable as she sat in a naked ball on the bed. She managed a weak smile as she pulled the overlarge garment over her head. Adam crossed the room in two quick paces, hopped onto the bed, and sat staring intently at his Synthia. Her—or its—behavior is so...

"I am a Synthia," she said plainly, doing her best to keep emotion out of her voice. "Specifically, I am your Synthia." Adam's head rocked back, his eyes rolling in exasperation.

"Synthias don't get nervous in the bedroom, especially not ones with your skillsets," Adam replied. Pandora opened her mouth to argue, but he cut her off: "Synthias don't cry."

Pandora sat leaning against the wall, her eyes downcast. Her dark hair framed her face, a lovely thing that was in no way marred by the sadness that now shaped it. Adam felt strange emotions within him, and realized how hard his heart was beating. He could not take his eyes off of Pandora, though.

That's how I made her, he thought, perfect.

"I am the Synthia you created. A biomechanic replica of the now-extinct female sex of the human race. A replacement in which all undesirable features have been removed through various genetic controls. In this way, the human race can survive," she whispered. Adam knew the words.

"You're paraphrasing Dr. Judas?" he asked. She nodded.

"Of course. I am designed to your exact specifications. I am created with only the will to be and do everything that you require of me. You are authorized to return me to any Synthia processing facility, for any reason, for repair, reprogramming, or replacement. You are also authorized to have me aborted for the same reasons," Pandora said mechanically. Adam's confusion only deepened, but their conversation was cut short by the door-chime. Adam gave Pandora a last, hard look, then went to the front door.

Monroe was at the door, and urgency was in his eyes. Adam knew that the big man wouldn't interrupt him unless it was important.

"What's the problem?" Adam asked.

"We got a job, boss. You know how it is. We'll know what when we get briefed. Gotta head down to HQ, like now," Monroe said. Adam nodded.

"I'm glad you stopped by personally," Adam said. Monroe smiled as he turned to walk back to his vehicle.

"I knew if I called you'd be too busy to answer! Am I right? See you at the office!"

Adam nodded again and went back inside, his door sliding shut behind him. He stood in the silence for a moment before going to the kitchen to get a beer. Whatever happened to my vacation? Oh, right, we didn't have a job for six months! He used a monitor in the kitchen to access his account with FIST—Adam didn't want to show up at headquarters with no knowledge of the situation.

"Oh, Hell. Security mission for a visiting politician from Canada? Why is this so important? It's tonight?" Adam took his beer back to the bedroom and squinted at the bright lights. He quickly dimmed them as he crossed the room to his wardrobe, pulling off his house-shirt and tossing it aside as he did. A computer display opened up next to him while he dressed so he could read the dossier on the politician and—of greater importance—why he needed protection all of a sudden. He looked over at Pandora, who sat patiently on the bed.