The Scars on Our Hearts

Thank you xxdarkchocolatexx for the lovely cover!

Prologue

Scars are fascinating natural works of art. Miraculous cellular events must take place to form the matrix of healing. Tissue matrix metalloproteinases are set free in damaged tissue in order to harvest the needed minerals from our bodies, drawing healing nutritional building blocks into the injured tissue. Collagen lays down an intricate latticework in which the dermal and epidermal cells will grow.

The appearance of scars is influenced by many factors, including genetics, severity of trauma, and how well approximated a wound is. If the scab is interrupted, causing prolonged healing, bigger scars may form. If the wound is caused by a burn or abrasion, the scar may be bigger than a laceration. The skill of the provider caring for the wound has something to do with the appearance of the scar after healing, but often it is dependent on your inherent healing abilities.

So, too do we form scars on our heart of hearts. Our psyche can be injured, and the scars on our soul can run deep, or heal with very little evidence of having been there. This is influenced by our ability to heal from emotional insults and wounds to our hearts and minds. Some of us are given a vast array of tools in our toolbox as we grow, others are mostly left to fend for ourselves with only what we have at the moment. You may ask why do some of us have the ability to come out on top of adversity while others in the same position flounder and fail. Or why does one sibling in a family succeed in life while another cannot seem to manage from one day to the next.

I am not a profound psychoanalyst. I am not a learned philanthroper. Nor am I trained formally to give any opinion on such things, except that I am a human being with many scars of my own. I am a trained scientist of the human body. There are boundless mysteries to the human form, mind and spirit, yet we share a uniform existence. We are all born, we live and then we die. The journey through these phases of what I define as "life" is where the flavor for each of us comes in. In the following work, I will share my journey, and pull in parallels to what some of you may be going through. Additionally, I will take time to comment on mankind in general. My viewpoint is limited by my culture, as I have never lived outside of the United States. I have made it a point to do my best to understand other cultures, and believe it has opened my eyes to the differences and similarities. Please kindly let me know of any insight you may have as a product of a different culture.