Meet Kim

Chapter 24: Meet Kim

Kim was arriving today, so my dad let me have the day off of school, and drove me to the airport to pick Kim up. I felt like jumping up and down in excitement, but that wouldn’t be very manly, so instead I had been wearing a huge smile since I woke up.

Kim’s plane was supposed to land at 4 p.m, so my dad and I decided to get there 10 minutes before so that we wouldn’t miss her. My dad had even made a huge poster with the words, “We missed you Kim!” written in huge pink letters so that I could hold it up when Kim came. I had a feeling my dad had done it more to embarrass me, then for her sake. My fears were confirmed when I saw him take out his iphone from his pocket, and snap a couple of pictures of me holding the poster. The look in his eye didn’t comfort me either.

I checked my watch. It was 4.20, but it wasn’t a huge surprise that she hadn’t come through the arrival gate. It always took some time before the luggage and passeport control let you pass. While I was waiting at the gate where Kim was supposed to come out from, my dad was drinking coffee while chuckling at something on his phone. Probably the pictures he had taken of me.

All of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder, which made me turn around.

Kim was standing there with a big sports bag slung over her shoulder, and a book in her hand. She had grown her hair and fringe out, and now it was swept side ways of her face. Her brown eyes twinkled with joy but instead of greeting me with a hug she said, “Excuse me? Have you seen a guy that looks just like you except that he isn’t as muscular, is pale like a vampire, and is a couple of inches shorter then you.”

She seemed so serious that I was about to say, “Kim, it’s me.” But then a huge smile appeared on her face, as she realized she got me again. If there was one thing Kim loved to do was making me believe things that weren’t true. Once she was able to convince me that her phone changed color during night and daytime. She never let me forget that one.

I pulled Kim into a huge bear hug. Her tiny form seemed even smaller now that I had grown taller, but you shouldn’t underestimate her because of her size. Kim is a fierce fighter. She’s probably the only cupid that likes to fight and does kick boxing every Thursday, and Karate every Monday. After the hug, she gave me a little punch on the shoulder, which is her usual way of greeting me.

“I’ve missed you.” I admitted with a smile.

Kim laughed and said, “I know you did.” Then she turned to my dad, who had stood up when he saw Kim arrive and had come our way. ”Hey Mr. D! How have you been doing?” She exclaimed excitedly, as she gave him a peck on the cheek. My parents had always loved Kim, and when we were kids they would always give her the biggest scoop of ice cream. I still resented her for that.

My dad smiled down at Kim. “I’m doing well. How about you Kim? You look great!” My dad complimented warmly.

“Thanks Mr.D. I’m hoping that I’ll get a nice tan while I stay here.” Kim said laughing.

“You do realize that you’re only staying here for 6 days. That won’t be enough time to get a tan.” I informed her.

Kim as a response stuck her tongue out at me. "You’re such a downer, Will. Let me dream about me and my tan, okay?”

I shook my head in amusement. I really had missed that crazy kick-ass girl in front of me.

My dad tried to take Kim’s bag so that he could carry it to the car, but she didn’t let go. She insisted she needed the weight lifting, which in my opinion was ridiculous, but there was no pint in arguing with Kim. We got to the car, and we both sat in the back while my dad drove. The whole 20 minutes ride in the car from the airport to our house was filled with Kim’s endless chattering. I didn’t mind though, because she was catching me up on all the cupid business.