Chapter 17

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

It was six thirty in the morning when I woke up to Greased Lightning coming from my cell phone. I sighed and ruffled my hair while sitting up. Eve was grumbling in her sleep, but not fully awake yet. I picked up my phone, but refrained from answering till I was safely in the living room, where I couldn’t wake anyone up.
When I glanced at the blue letters that were flashing on my screen, I read “Mom Calling”. Well, well, well. This should be interesting. I thought about not answering my phone, using the excuse that it was early and I’d been asleep. But I was too curious about what she’d have to say.
‘Demona here.’ 
‘Uh – yes – hi there Dem.’  She sounded gruff, the way she always sounded when she’d been crying. ‘This is Mom.’

‘Hi Mom.’ 
‘I got a call from your principal yesterday night,’ Mom explained, swallowing audibly. ‘He called to let me know you’ve been at school long enough to adapt and accept your new life. It would be appropriate for me to visit you now.’ 
I snorted. ‘Appropriate?’ What a great way to say she didn’t really want to talk to me, but did so anyway because she was a sucker for guilt trips. 
‘Yes, I believe that was the word he used. I would’ve called earlier, but he said it was best to leave you alone for a while.’ 
‘Did he actually say that or did you want to delay it?’ I spat. ‘I’ve been here for a month now. You said you’d visit when I was in control of my vampirism. If you really believe I was out of it back at home, then it isn’t a good idea to come and see me.’ 
‘Did you make friends?’ my mother asked softly. ‘Are you lonely?’
Somehow, the softness in her voice made me think of the mother she used to be, before all this supernatural crap came up. She’d been worried about me, always standing up for me and allowing me to do whatever I felt like I needed to do. She’d been the best mother I could’ve wished for. But everything had changed when my fangs had started to grow. I understood she had issues with fangs and blood and stuff because of my bad-ass vampire father, but it wasn’t like I could help any of that. She’d been the one to sleep with him, so it seemed only fair that she’d blame herself for my change and not me. Not that I wanted her to blame anyone besides maybe my father himself, but blaming herself seemed more… humane than blaming her own daughter. 
‘No, I’m not lonely,’ I assured her, sighing deeply. I couldn’t bring myself to snarl anymore. ‘I met a really nice guy, Simon, and we’re like best friends now.’ 
‘This Simon – he’s a vampire as well? Is he good to you?’ She sounded relieved about me not being all on my own, but at the same time, worry leaked though in her voice.
‘Mom, listen to me…’ I said gently. ‘Not all vampires are bad. I’m a vampire and I consider myself good and not of the killing-humans-or-abusing my-wife kind. I met nice vampires around here. And Simon isn’t a vampire. He’s a fairy.’ 
‘A – a fairy?’ she gasped for breath. ‘Are you making a fool out of me?’ 
‘There aren’t only vampires here, Mom. There are fairies, witches and werewolves too. My roommate’s a werewolf. She’s real sweet; you’d probably like her.’ I smiled, imagining Eve coming over to my place for tea, discussing the best way to make fine lemon tea with my mother. They’d like each other for sure.
‘Demona – I – I – God, I don’t even know what to say anymore.’ She took a deep, steadying breath before she went on. ‘I’ve been thinking about when you called me before, about your dad. I think it might be wise if I finally told you more about him. So you can understand your full heritage.’ 
‘Oh –  Jeesh, thanks mom.’ I didn’t really want to see her again, not yet. She might have gotten a better perspective on things, but the fear I’d seen and smelled on her before wasn’t something you could shake off this easily – or this quickly. On the other hand, I really wanted to hear about my father.
‘Now about next Saturday? Your principal said we could meet in one of the nearby villages. Creskville is supposed to have a real nice pancake house.’
I smiled slightly, remembering the countless pancake houses my mother and had visited over the years. If there was one thing we both were passionate about, it was pancakes. She liked hers with crispy bacon, I preferred something that didn’t require animals suffering, like cinnamon pancakes. ‘All right then. Saturday, Creskville, about twelve o’clock?’ 
‘Sure. Let’s meet at the pancake house.’ 
‘Let’s; bye now, Mom.’ 
‘Bye, Dem.’ 
I shut my cell phone, feeling uneasy about the conversation. I didn’t know if meeting my mother – who happened to be so afraid of me she actually cringed when I came near her – was such a great idea. But I wanted to know about my dad. I needed to. And besides that, no matter how much I loathed her because of her fearing me and no matter how much she wanted to wet her pants and scream like a little girl when I was near, she still was my mother. That ought to count for something.

‘So, are you nervous yet?’ Simon asked that day during English. We were supposed to be working on our assignment, but I’d just filled him in on the conversation with my mother, which seemed a lot more important right now.
‘Maybe a bit,’ I admitted. ‘Would you care to come with me?’
‘I don’t think it’s such a great idea to have me with you when your mother wants to have a heavy conversation with you, Dem…’ He looked uneasy. ‘But if you need me there, I’ll be there, obviously.’
‘Well, we could do a bit of shopping afterwards. I’d only be with my mother for like, an hour. So it might be nice to get some ice cream and maybe buy some new clothes when I’m done with the heavy talk.’ I smiled at him, trying to convey the words I didn’t actually say. That it would be nice to have someone to talk with afterwards. That I wanted him to be there because I was nervous and nauseous and I just needed to know there was someone who didn’t think I was a scary freak.
Simon smiled and squeezed my shoulder. ‘I’ll be there. Although you should know I’m not big on shopping.’
‘Well, you’re a guy after all.’ I said, looking him up and down. ‘If you liked to shop, I’d seriously think you’re gay.’
‘I can assure you I am not.’ The look he gave me when he said that made me feel a bit tingly inside. His eyes stayed intent on mine, his smile all gone. Some kind of invisible thread seemed to be enveloping between us, making it impossible to look away from each other. I noticed how his hood was down, his messy hair tucked behind his ears. How the glow around him was deep purple, like it was when he was happy. How his eyes twinkled in a way that made my stomach clench together. Just when I started to get a bit queasy, I was saved by the bell.
I decided not to think anything of the weird little… thing that had just occurred. 

All in all, I had a strange feeling of unease hanging over me all day. First there was the conversation I’d had with my mother. Then there were the worried yet tender looks Simon kept giving me today, and the way I didn’t seem to be able to look away from him whenever he did it. And thirdly I was tired from waking up at six thirty. Oh – and let’s not forget the way some teachers were acting around me. The math teacher was still giving me and Simon way too much attention, and I’d caught Mr Gangreen looking at me in the cafeteria, as well as the woman with short black hair I’d noticed before.
I didn't exactly have anything to be happy about.
My day got even weirder after dinner; I was just walking to my dorm – alone, since Simon had a bunch of homework to do – when a cold, chilling feeling came over me, making me turn around as fast as I could. I was just in time to see Eros come to a stop behind me. Darkness seemed to shimmer around him like he was wrapped in it. It was much stronger around him than it had been when I’d seen it around other vampires. Like he had bathed in darkness, eaten it for breakfast and finally wrapped the dark shimmering cloak so tightly around him he seemed to exist of darkness itself. 
‘Would you care to raid the kitchen with me again?’ Eros asked, without greeting me first. His smile was alluring, his dark eyes overruling.
I did feel like having some hot chocolate or a piece of cake or something. And I wasn’t really in the mood to be alone anyway. But I remembered the last time I had spoken to Eros only too well. Some kind of fog had set around me, making my thoughts all fuzzy. Unless I’d been imagining things, Eros’d had something to do with it. If not a lot.
‘No thanks,’ I said lightly. ‘You go on, though.’
‘Oh, come on, Demona, you can’t still be mad at me for what happened.’ He placed his hands on my shoulders and leaned down so he could look me straight in the eyes. ‘I am sorry, you know. And I hate to have scared you.’
‘I’m not scared,’ I scowled. 
‘Fine, freaked then. That’s not the point. We had fun last time, raiding the kitchen, remember, why not do that again?’ He smiled, making me feel like melting because of the utter hotness he radiated.
‘Maybe if you beg some more,’ I yielded, smiling.
‘Is that a yes?’ Eros asked. He almost sounded excited. ‘Pretty please then?’
‘Let’s get going. I’m in the mood for a sugar overload.’ I turned and walked in the general direction of the kitchen. Eros draped an arm casually around my shoulder, walking at my pace.
Sam and Paulie walked by then, probably just coming back from dinner. Sam looked bored as always, merely nodding at the both of us. Paulie however winked at me, licked her lips at Eros and pulled a cigarette out of her pocket. A few other students walked past us as well, gawking at the two of us, whispering behind their hands. I enjoyed it more than I should.
When we reached the kitchen, Eros peeked though the little window in the door. ‘Shoot, I forgot about the dishes having to be cleaned. Staff’s in there now, sorry.’
I sighed. ‘Well, I will just go back to my dorm then.’ 
Eros didn’t listen, however, pulling me into the nearest classroom – that was completely empty at the time. He let go of me then, lounging against the wall near the door with a thoughtful expression on his face.
‘Hey – what is this all about?’ I asked angrily. I am not the kind of girl to be dragged into an empty classroom. ‘If you think you can get me to expose my neck to you, you’re crazy.’ I spat.
‘I don’t think that,’ he said gently.
‘Then what are we-’
Eros had crossed the room and now stood hovering over me. Without a word, he took my face in his hands and bent down to kiss me. The moment his soft lips touched mine, my mind went all foggy – just like last time I’d seen him. Without even considering pulling back, I slid my arms around his neck and let my lips move in pace with his. His hands were stroking my hair now, tracing patterns on my back, caressing my cheek… I felt oddly at peace and strangely comfortable all the while. The fog thickened with every second our kiss lasted, making me unable to grasp the meaning of all of this.
When he let go of me and diverted his face, I gasped for breath, the fog disappearing. I gaped at him, my eyes wide open. ‘W-what-’
But Eros turned completely away from me and walked out of the room. By the time I’d reached the door, he was long gone. 

========

Where can you order a copy of this book, you ask?

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

Please like this story on Facebook and stay tuned about developments in the series: https://www.facebook.com/SupernaturalBoardingSchool