2-Something Like Lightning (Edited)

**Picture of Crystal is now available ------------------------------------------------------>

               As I drove toward my apartment in east L.A., a bone chilling cold began to spread through my body. It seemed to emanate from my heart, but I knew that to be impossible because I was positive that it lay as an unrecognizable mass at the feet of my ex-boyfriend.

               I turned up the radio to drown out my betraying thoughts, because truth be told, I missed him already. I used to talk insurmountable amounts of shit about the girls who still loved the exes that betrayed them, but now that it was me in that position I finally understood. Deep meaningful love did not just vanish overnight. Even if I wished that it did. 

               Cold. I was so very cold. With a shiver I turned on the heat despite the fact it was a blistering 95 degrees out. Like a piece of frozen meat, I began to thaw out. But as the ice melted, so did my frozen tears. I had never been much of a crier, but the tears wouldn't seem to stop. Every tear I'd never shed over Nate and the sometimes insensitive things he would do or say seemed bent on leaving my eyes all at once. It was like I was aiming to cry an ocean and I could barely see through my tears as I drove down the 5.

               It quickly became apparent that driving while while crying my eyes out was not exactly safe, so I took the next exit with the intent to pull over until my tears subsided. As luck would have it, the exit led to the mall. With the colorful signs and shoppers milling about the premises, I did what almost every female does when depression and anger take over. I called up my best friend Crystal and told her to get her butt down to the mall because I needed to do some therapeutic spending.

               While I waited for her to get there, a million thoughts went through my mind and I wondered where the years since high school had gone. I'd had such big dreams back then and if I looked at my life now, I wasn't living any of them, not really. Something like lightning hit me during my period of self-reflection and I built my resolve while I waited for my best friend.

               Perhaps it was the urgency in my voice or maybe it was how I had asked, but Crystal pulled into the parking lot not even 20 minutes later. She sped walked to where I stood, her eyes critical and assessing.

               "What'd he do?" Her voice was harsh and I briefly wondered how she knew my mood was Nate's fault. "Well?" She prompted, "Spit it out already! If you tell me he hurt you, so help me-" 

               Crystal pursed her lips together and I could tell she was struggling to stay quite long enough for me to tell her what my problem was. I gave her a watery smile, but forced back the tears as I recounted everything I heard and said, right down to the color of the bimbo's lipstick.

               Crystal's lightly tanned skin flushed red with anger, her petite 5'2 frame was tensed for battle and her dark brown, almond shaped eyes were hard with indignation. 

               "Why that son of a... I'm going to pummel him the next time I see him. You know what? No, I'm not. You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to hire a midget to run up to him and punch him right in the baby maker. I'll of course be hiding somewhere while I record it, so I can Youtube it when it’s all said and done. Maybe it'll make it on Web Soup or Tosh.0"

               Despite the sadness and hurt, I burst out laughing.

               "It's an amazing idea Liz!" She defended, stomping her foot for emphasis. "Just imagine the pitter-patter of his feet as he runs up to Nate and the loud thud of his body as he hit the ground! Tell me you wouldn't watch something like that for funsies."