Bring on the Awkward

~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Picture of Jace on the side

~~~~

 Benedict isn’t a living thing, I know, but I felt like his black Sharpie eyes were peering into my soul.

I’d been staring at the egg ever since I’d parked in my driveway. Parker would be over any minute, and I was still trying to calm down the mutant butterflies in my stomach. I felt like I was going to vomit, and as I heard Parker’s motorcycle pull up behind me, my heart started to thud quickly.

“Here we go,” I muttered to myself, and I opened my car door. I grabbed my backpack, and with Benedict in my other hand, I climbed out of the Grouch. “Hey,” I said, giving Parker a small wave as he pulled his helmet off.

“Hey,” Parker echoed, swinging his leg over the side of his bike so that he was standing next to it, “I didn’t see you in health class today. We read a fascinating article about the experience of the third trimester of pregnancy.”

“Damn,” I said, and I tried and failed to snap my fingers. “I had a counselor’s appointment during health,” I explained, addressing Parker’s question. Honestly, I’d scheduled the counselor’s appointment myself, making sure that it was during health class. This was the first time I’d seen Parker since my bold kiss, and today I’d avoided him like the death plague.

As you can see, I’m being so mature about this.

I walked up the front walk of my house with Parker right behind me, and I let us into my house. Parker slipped past me as I held open the door, and I swear he could hear my heart beating. Man, I felt like such a generic teenage loser.

“Reed!”

My mom burst from her office just as Parker and I were walking up the stairs, and when her eyes fell on Parker, she pursed her lips. “I just wanted to remind you that Jace is dropping by around five thirty to meet you,” My mom said, but she was looking at Parker rather than me. “I want you to be done with your schoolwork by then.”

“Yeah, sure,” I muttered, and I glanced over at Parker to see his jaw clenched. I glared at my mom, since we all knew she was trying to get a rise out of him, and I grabbed Parker’s wrist and ignored the flutter in my stomach that touching him gave me.

“We’ve got a lot to do, Mom, so try not to disturb us,” I said, biting the inside of my cheek to keep from yelling or swearing at her. Then, with a final death glare, I dragged Parker up the rest of the stairs and into my bedroom.

“Who’s Jace?”

“What?” I asked, turning around to look at Parker as I closed my bedroom door.

“Your mom mentioned someone named Jace,” Parker said, shoving his hands in his pockets and giving me a sheepish look. “Who is he?”

“Oh,” I replied, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear uncomfortably, “He’s my mom’s friend’s nephew. He’s going to be here for the next couple of months, and I’m supposed to show him around school and stuff.”

Parker got this weird, almost jealous look on his face, and I raised an eyebrow in confusion. “You alright there?” I asked, and Parker nodded quickly. His traditional crooked smirk stretched across his face, and I found myself instantly smiling. Parker just had that effect on me.