Chapter 28

I know I take forever to update but if you must blame something, blame physics.

A loud horn rang loudly echoing across the island pulling us out of our moment. I almost growled along with him for the stupid noise ruining everything. Looking to the direction of the noise he grabbed my hands pulling them away from his face.

My heart beat slowed as I got over the world me and Trent were in only a few seconds ago. I was going to kiss him I realized. I was finally going to do what I wanted to do for the last week. Whatever the hell was going to happen was over now.

I was pulled away from my thoughts as more and more sounds came. It sounded like a fog horn. My eyes widened realizing that the horn must belong to a ship. Meaning, the ship that Seth saw was finally here now.

I almost wanted the ship to turn back just so me and Trent could continue off where we were but I knew that moment was long gone. I sighed loudly turning back to Trent who was staring off the direction of the sounds.

The ringing of the horn rang out again and I looked at Trent confused but he was looking away from me. The horn again, this time the sound coming in short intervals and faster than before. I tilted my head to the side wondering what was going on with the ship. This didn’t seem normal and as if he could read my mind Trent nodded his head and glanced over at me.

“Something’s wrong,” he muttered just loud enough for me to catch. The sounds of the horn finally died out after ringing almost ten times. He was right, something was happening on the ship and it didn’t seem like it was a good thing.

“Come on,” he said dragging me by my wrist to the edge of the forest. I didn’t seem to care for my hesitation and dragged me like a rag doll. I tried twisting out of his grasp but he had a firm grip on me.

He seemed completely back to normal now like nothing before the horn happened. It seems like I should just forget about everything too if we weren’t going to bring it up again. I followed him silently as he dragged my arm and tried not to think about it too much. There were bigger things going on and now didn’t seem to be the right time to be distracted.

The night was taking over and the sun wasn’t visible anymore. By the time we actually reached the ship the night sky would probably take over. There would be more animals in the forest and I wouldn’t be far off in saying we would get lost.

“I’m not going,” I declared crossing my arms over my chest which was considerably harder as he still had a hold of my wrist. He gave me a pointed look. “No, I have a horrible track record of bad things that happen when I’m in the jungle at night and I don’t plan on continuing it.”

He scoffed at me clearly annoyed. “It’s not like I’ll let anything happen to you,” he mumbled rolling his eyes at my stubbornness. “Let’s go your wasting my time. Besides,” he added seeing the determined look on my face, “I’m the scariest thing on this island so you don’t have to worry.”

“Then you go,” I said trying to compromise with him. “I’ll wait in the plane until you get back alright?” I offered hoping he would give in.