Chapter Five

Chapter Five... Two Months On

It had been two months since my brother was killed in a car accident... and I had almost joined him. I missed Dean so much. We were so close... so close...

Thinking about my brother brought tears to my eyes. And today was my first day back on the cheerleading squad. I was a bit nervous, having finally been cleared of all of my medical issues from the accident. My broken arm was the last thing to heal, and I had to wait two weeks before I was allowed to cheer again.

I walked into school in my cheerleading outfit, and a few people looked at me.

"Alexia!" Jade gasped. "I'd heard rumours you were starting back on the squad today, but I had to see it before I believed it!"

"Hi, Jade," I muttered shyly.

"Sammy and Alison are both stoked to have you back!" Jade grinned. "Your replacement was a pain in the ass! We ditched her the other day, she didn't know anything."

 "Well, I'm back now," I said softly.

"I can see that," she smiled.

"I wasn't sure if you'd come back," she muttered. "Thought that you might not want to, after what happened to Dean. And you almost died..."

"Okay!" I shouted. "Please. Stop reminding me of what might have been. Stop telling me crap Jade. You aren't my friend! You screwed my best friend over, and he still hasn't forgiven you!"

"Angus isn't exactly your greatest fan, either, Lexie," Jade frowned. "You keep pushing him away. He's trying to be your friend, and you're being a total bitch!"

"I don't have time for you, Jade," I groaned, walking away.

"If I had my way, I'd have your sorry ass kicked off of our squad!" she screamed.

I turned to face her. She backed away, looking frightened.

"Just... just leave me alone, Jade," I said softly. "Please."

And I walked away.

Angus stood over by himself, playing on his phone. I walked up to him, and he smiled.

"Lexie!" he grinned. "You made it!"

"Yes, I drove my car successfully today without freaking out," I smiled proudly.

"It's not something you can rush into, Lex," he said firmly. "It's hard. You were in an accident. Some people might never ever get back into a car again."

"Yeah, maybe," I sighed. "I didn't want to be one of those people, though."

"You don't seem the type to freak out," he chuckled.

"Well, I guess that's a kind of good thing, if it were true," I laughed. "But I freak out. A lot. And without Dean, I seem to freak out more."

"It takes time," Angus said, and a set of arms crept up over his shoulders.

"Guess who?" the girls' voice whispered.

"Uh... mom?" Angus said.

"No, silly!" the girl chuckled, coming from behind him and kissing him. I watched in agony as he kissed her back...

I hadn't known that Angus had a new girlfriend, and it hurt. I wanted him to be with me... but I needed time. Didn't mean he could go sleep with somebody else in the meantime!

"Lexie, this is Georgia," Angus introduced the bubbly girl. "Georgia, this is my best friend Alexia. But well, I call her Lexie."

"Hi," Georgia smiled. She was a blonde... her nails were fake... and she looked way too young for him.

"Hello," I muttered.

"Georgia started here just after Christmas," Angus explained. "She's a sophomore."

"So she's like, fifteen then?" I frowned.

"Sixteen, actually," Georgia corrected. "I know you guys are like, seventeen, but I'm not that much younger."

"Yeah, I suppose," I sighed.

"We're gonna be friends," Georgia smiled. "I hope so, anyway. Best friends."

"Angus is my best friend," I said coldly.

"Oh, well uh... I meant a best girl friend," she said softly. "Babe, I have to go to class. My friends will be waiting for me."

"See you at lunch," Georgia smiled. "You too, Lexie."

I just watched as she walked away. Angus grabbed my arm.

"Why do you have to be so rude, Lexie?" he asked.

"I wasn't being rude," I said innocently. "I was being myself."

"No, you were being a bitch," he groaned. "Are you jealous of her or something?"

"What? I don't even know her, Angus!"

"Exactly! Don't be like that when you don't know someone."

"You didn't even tell me that you had a girlfriend. I'm your best friend. You usually tell me things like this!"

"Lexie, you've had a lot on your plate. I didn't wanna tell you just yet. I was gonna tell you today, at lunch."

"Jade was right when she said that I'd pushed you away..."

"You have, but I don't blame you. Your brother died."

"Yes, but Dean has nothing to do with the relationship between you and me!"

"What relationship?"

"Our friendship!"

"Right, right..."

"Angus, what were you thinking of?"

"Nothing..."

"Whatever. I have class."

"See you in History."

"I guess," I mumbled, turning to walk away.

I swear I must not be meant to be with this guy! Everytime I'm ready, he's with someone else. And that bugs me more than anything. I loved him... but I didn't know how he felt about me. And now he was dating some random young girl who looked like she should be in kindergarten, not the tenth grade.

Great. I was back to where I started with when it came to Angus.

His best friend.