The Lake, The Cabin, and Capture the Flag: Part Two

dedicated to KittenLMC

Part Two:

The sound of a loud banging, caused Annabeth and I to be quiet and look towards Chiron who was pounding his hove on the marble stadium.

"Heroes!" His voice boomed out, silencing everyone. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game." He looked around making sure everyone understood before continuing. "All magic items are allowed and the banner must be displayed in a way that is obvious to the naked eye. It can have no more than two guards."

Chiron gazed drifted over to the Ares team. "No killing, no maiming, and no gauging out parts is allowed." He glared at all of them before turning back to the rest of us. "Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged."

Then he spread his arms wide and the empty table before him was suddenly filled with weapons of all sorts. "I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!"

Quickly, I left Annabeth and them to fight my way to the front of the weapon line. Shoving, I got to the table and hastily grabbed seven hunting knives and put five of them into my holster around my waste, one in the holster around my thigh and the eighth I put into the top of my breast plate -so incase someone totally disarmed me, I still could take them out. Then I took the necklace that concealed my weapons and strung it around my neck, hiding it inside my armor.

Annabeth suited up as well, simply grabbing a sword and a leather breastplate. She picked up her blue-haired helmet and crammed it on to her head and I did the same. Annabeth lifted her sword in the air and let out a loud battle cry, causing other blue-haired helmets to do the same. 

We all cheered and shook our swords, valiantly, before marching south to the woods. The red soldiers yelled taunts at us, but we could care less. We all knew who was going to win this battle.

Annabeth and I led the soldiers down to the creek, this is where we were going to place our flag. "Olive."

"Yeah?" I scratched the back of my neck. I think a mosquito bit me.

She turned her wise, crystal grey eyes into mine. "You are going to be a guard with me. I will be four feet from the flag, you will be from fifty or so away."

I cracked a grin at her and shrugged. "You sure? I thought you wouldn't want me to get in the way."

 Annabeth let out a fairly loud chuckle and shook her head. "Indeed, I may have a month ago, but only because of my pride. I am not a fool, any one can see that you are fairly good at hand-to-hand when in a tight spot-even if I hate admitting it."

"What? I'm sorry, I must not have caught that?" I put a hand to my ear and pretended to listen harder.

Annabeth just shoved my arm with a slight smile. "Shut up." We broke ground on the creek and she shoved the pole of the flag in to the ground. "You had best be off."

I saluted her and made my way through the forest quickly. My senses seemed to be highlighted, and it dawned on me that it was most likely because my mother was the goddess of the hunt. I counted each foot I ran past and decided that seventy-five feet away from the flag was a good enough heads up for Anna.

Looking around, I found a nice, sturdy tree to climb and keep a look out on things quietly and out of sight.

~~~

A while passed before I even heard anyone within a hundred feet. But when someone finally did dare to come in to our territory, I heard the before I could even see them.