Chapter 10 - Humans and traps

---Coda’s POV---

We could hear the snarls and deep grumbles from the pack as they were already feeding on the deer they caught when we finally got down. Keeran rushed past us and went to a spot close to the hind legs of the deer, growling lowly when Aneira got a bit too close to his spot.

Roku tried to get in between the adults but quickly backed up when Fergal snarled at him, snapping in the air as a warning. I laid my ears back and dropped down next to Nyra, who was sitting down as she sniffed the air, her nostrils twitching as the air filled with the heavy scent of fresh blood, the Hunt and adrenaline rushing through the pack’s bodies.

“A bit snappy, aren’t they?” I asked jokingly at Nyra, earing myself an appreciative grin from her as well as a scowl from dad before he chuckled and dug in, growling at Keylin when he tried to sneak in his spot. Her blue eyes sparked with curiosity as we watched the adults gobble down the food.

“Wonder if it would really taste that good? I mean, we’re still drinking milk and I don’t know when we’re going to start on meat.” She muttered, mostly to herself as she tilted her head when Aneira made off with part of the leg and happily wagged her tail at her victory.

I chuckled slightly and crawled a few inches forwards, whimpering when Aneira looked up from her ‘prey’ and growled warningly. Automatically, I drew my ears back and looked away from Aneira, whimpering softly under my breath. What was it with these wolves and meat?

Aneira’s muzzle was dripping with blood, her pupils slightly enlarged as she growled lowly from her throat. Another growl sounded but this time aimed at Aneira as father stepped between us. She whined slightly and bowed her head above the leg before slowly chewing on it, keeping her head averted from our dad and Alpha.

In the mean time, Nyra had crept a bit closer to the kill but stayed rooted to the spot after a warning growl from mom. “You pups are too young to feed straight from the kill. Wait for a moment and you’ll get your dinner.” Obediently, she slumped down on the grass, sniffing when the pack moved around the kill to switch places. I crept beside her and laid down, surprised to see Roku join us after a few moments.

He too sniffed the air before laying his head down, blue eyes following everyone’s movements until Fergal huffed and slipped away from the pack, moving towards Roku before motioning his head to the side. I noticed that Keeran was coming over as well but my eyes were focused on Aneira as she licked her lips a few times before trotting away, stopping halfway to look at me over her shoulder.

I yipped and darted after her, jumping around her whilst wagging my tail and huffed when I tripped and landed right on my nose. “You know pup…” Aneira chuckled as she helped me up on my scruff, “If you watch where you’re going, it’ll be easier to stay on your paws.”

Grinning sheepishly, I shook myself before sniffing the air. That sweet, meaty scent clung to Aneira’s fur and muzzle and made me shuffle on the spot before she lowered her nose. Not understanding what she wanted, I whimpered and sniffed at the scent, letting out some frustrated whines before I bumped my nose into the corner of her lips.

Aneira’s reaction was instantly; she gagged slightly at the first nudge and a small bit of meat fell out. My eyes brightened as I pounced at the meat before realizing what this meant. If our pack came to us after the hunt and we would touch their muzzle, we would get food!

And the meat tasted sooooooo good! The taste and smell clouded my mind until I only wanted more. I eagerly gobbled the piece up and licked my lips when I finished it before whining and licking Aneira’s muzzle to see if she would give me some more meat. And she did.