24. X Marks The Spot

[VOTE and COMMENT now or forever hold your peace.]

Chapter 24 "X Marks The Spot"

Teri Ore - Shreya Ghosal & Rahat Fateh Ali Khan

Spencer's POV

"Breathe, Ethan! Slow breaths before your lungs implode from working overtime."

Somewhere in the mix of the chaos that erupted inside the dining room of my home, Ethan had scurried out into the dark night and started to do what I would expect him to. Act like a Drama Queen.

"How," he puffed, pacing back and forth on the front lawn, "can I breathe when I'm going to be married soon?" He cried, wheezing and coughing up his words while biting his nails.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, you did give me the Ring Pop..."

"Not funny!" he yelled and I found his abrasiveness quite hilarious. It kind of personified the absurdity of the entire situation.

"Oh, come one, Ethan." I laughed as he continued tripping over his shoe laces, "Same-sex marriage isn't even legal in Idaho."

He breathed as he wiped his sweaty palms on his jeans. "Well, that's good at least."

"Yeah," I muttered, "score one for inequality."

He scoffed. "You know what I mean, Spencer." He spat. "I just turned seventeen."

"We're not getting married, doofus." I fished my phone out of my pocket, "Mathew just saved my behind."

Ethan stopped and glared at me. "You call your dad coming at me with a spork and threatening to gut me like a turkey saved?" he shrieked. "All it did was decrease my life expectancy."

I raised a brow. "Someone's been paying attention in Economics class."

"Oh, quit your patronizing." He jeered and huffed, jogging out of the yard and onto the sidewalk.

I followed him, albeit at a much slower and calmer pace. "Where are you going?" I asked as he started sprinting (i.e. running for his life) down the street.

"For a walk!" he shouted back as he disappeared into the darkness.

First Mathew, now him. Something must be in the apple juice in this town because everyone has been overreacting to everything and I'm the only rational human left – seeing as I didn't drink it. I sighed and peered into the window that saw straight into the eye of the storm that was my dining room. Dad had gotten up and looked to be in a very passion fueled argument with Mr. Littman.

Mom was standing next to Mrs. Littman and looked closer to tears. Probably 'cause Mrs. Littman had one of mom's Wedding's For Moms magazines in her hands and looked like she was comparing the dress in the book with mom's figure. I couldn't really see anyone else thanks to the half cracked blinds.

And so, I was left alone with the whistling wind and the light of the moon caressing parts of my bare hands and maybe I would have stopped to look up at the full figured piece of rock and dust dangling in the cloudless sky if there wasn't so much going through my mind.

I turned on my phone and dialed Mathew's number, knowing full aware that he wouldn't dare pick up once my number flashed a crossed his screen, but also fully aware that he'd, in some way, make it known that he knew this would happen.

You've reached Mathew Gonzales, I'm not near my phone right now so leave a message after the beep...except you Spencer, I'm sure, considering tonight's events, you'd want to talk to me in person...oh, and congratulations.