The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 36

Start from the beginning

“I love you, Radleigh,” I whispered, disappearing out the kitchen door.

The hallway felt cold and unwelcoming, dark well and truly settling in on us now. The wind echoed through the cracks in the window sill, whistling around the lonely house. It was like someone had died here. Like there were just ghosts chasing each other around the foundations.

There was no-one else I wanted to say goodbye to; Georgie had crossed my mind, but we hadn’t spoken since Macca had died. I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of a load of abuse from an angry widow. And as for Jase…he was probably away screwing about again. Some Alpha he’d make; he couldn’t keep it in his trousers long enough to stand for his pack. Him and Dante should’ve started a club together. Then again, the thought of Dante and Jase meeting up had me wanting to throw up.

I smiled as I walked towards the door, listening to my feet beat against the hard tiled floor. I had found happiness, in the place where I least expected it. I had found love, in a man who drove me up the wall. I had found reconciliations, where I had been looking for a fight.

Not bad for Annie Knight.

Oh well…All good things must come to an end.

I opened the front door, stepping out into the cold, bleak night. For May, it was bloody freezing, and I knew that there was no heating where I was going.

Gordon:

The light flickered in my study, making shadows dance on the walls. I sighed, rubbing at my face.

Annie.

She was too fiery for her own good sometimes. It hadn’t surprised me in the slightest that she had managed to end up in with Dante. Fire was what attracted Dante to people. He was like a moth; an extremely angry, hate-filled moth.

When Annie was younger, she used to want to be like her brothers; going out at full moons. What father would want that for his little girl? I didn’t want Annie out there fighting wolves in the middle of the night, losing the humanity she possessed in place for the brutality and strength that came with being a glorified dog.

But she had seemingly found it anyway.

Packs like Dante’s came far and between. I knew from past experience that he was a ruthless Alpha; his beta – Freddo, or something like that – looked like he was hardly lucid in the hallway. Not to mention when he tried to take Annie’s mother-

I swallowed, the light of the room beginning to dim with the faulty bulb. I would die for my children, any of them. And I had known when Annie came back that she would be in trouble; why else would she have come back?

Dante would destroy her if he got his hands on her again. She had escaped last time from what she had told us, but he would completely ruin her if she went back to him. Dante didn’t do second chances.

He wasn’t going to hurt my family again. I needed to put being a father before being an Alpha for once in my life.

And I needed to start by looking out for Annie.

Cal:

Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong. I couldn’t hear Annie. I mean, okay; she was good at blocking me out of her head, but I couldn’t even sense her. I had thought she was upstairs with Rosie, and I hadn’t really wanted to disturb her, but now I was worried.

“Annie, m’darlin’?” I called, knocking on the door of the bedroom. There was no reply, so I pushed it open.

The room was empty except from Rosie lying sleeping in her cot, a piece of paper stuck to the side of it with sellotape. Oh God, please tell me it wasn’t a suicide note. With shaking hands, I unfolded it.