Nine Boys... Then There's Me. {A Royal Wolves Story}

• Dedicated to Katie Rinker... A lover of wolves

Chapter One

    How could the weather relay how I felt right now? I never knew how it was possible. That the dark clouds rolling around us could match my mood perfectly. The gloominess. The pain that they showed matched me perfectly. The rain pummeling down to the ground mimicking how I wish to let my tears fall. The cold representing the deep emptiness in my heart.

    There was a pressure before the sound of the intercom beeping to life. "Well passengers, in about ten minutes we will be descending into St. Martin's Airport. The time will be 2:03pm locals time.

    "As you can see out the windows, there's a bit of a storm over this mountain area with a current temperature of 46 degrees ferrite. Make sure that if you have a jacket, fasten it tight leaving the airport if this is your destination.

    "From all of us aboard AirSky Flight 6713, thank you for flying and hope you join us again."

    I sighed as I looked to the woman next to me. She wasn't my mom, but she was my guardian now. You wouldn't guest looking at her that she was in her early to mid forties. Her appearance made her look not even thirty. Her soft golden curls cascaded down her shoulders. Her eyes were a dark amber honey that shone a youthful side before she saw what happened to my family. She also had a nice figure, though I didn't care about that.

    Frowning, I reach a hand out to her shoulder. "Macy. You should wake up. We're landing." I shook her shoulder.

    She jolted up in surprise wide eyed and glancing quickly around. "What?! What is it?" She rubbed her eyes.

    I pointed out the window. "We're landing soon."

    She stretched and I cringed internally at the cracking and popping sounds. "Thanks sweetie. I never liked flying."

    "Sorry." I murmured to her turning back to look outside.

    She place a hand on my arm and gave me a gentle rub. "There's nothing for you to apologize for."

    I never remembered meeting this woman before she came to my house with my mom who squealed like a teenaged fan girl. Something you'll never see me do. I was tough like my dad. Doing more guy things with my brother who happened to be my twin. It made my dad proud yet he worried over me a lot since I'm a girl being around so many guys all the time with my brother doing un-lady like things.

    Macy apparently had been my mom's distant best friend since she was a little girl. They had grown up together before my mom left to study interior design in New York. That's where my mom met my dad. From what they've told me and my siblings over and over again, they had a love at first sight type of meeting. They had been at a college party when they bumped into each other. My mom looked up, dad looked down, and boom...they were in love. From what I was told, Macy was my mom's maid of honor.

    I felt a small tear trickle down my cheek thinking of my family. I missed them so much. I hadn't realized how little time I had left with them. That they would be taken from me so soon. I had been naive to think we'd always be together goofing off and being so together.

    The day I lost them was one of the rare days that I got sick. Mom said it was just something I had ate the night before. I believed her as it was one of the few times I had eaten dinner outside my family. A female friend of mine had asked me over. I had very few female friends so I jumped at the chance to be a bit girly.

    The dinner was delicious except for this one herb her mom used. It tasted funny to me, but shrugged it off being polite. I even smiled at her mom who was watching me, critiquing every move I made. I think I surprised her as she just shrugged what ever was on her mind and she smiled back warmly.