Hotter Than Hell - Out Of Time

Chapter Nineteen – Out Of Time

Jason / James’ POV

Jason’s heart was racing and he was having a hard time slowing it down. He’d never felt that way before. No matter how dangerous the operation or task he was about to perform was, he always managed to keep cool, but not this one.

Every fiber in his being was screaming at him to get Kaleen out of there and take her to a safe place, the thought of Kaleen been so close to that psychopath made the hairs on his back stand up and his body clench in anger.

“Damn it.” Jason swore as he positioned himself in a crowded café which was across the street, from where Kaleen would be meeting Ryan.

“Would you relax!” Amber, another cop sitting on the same table with him hissed in anger.

“I can’t relax.” Jason hissed back at her.

“I don’t know what your problem is James, we’ve got all the exits covered, if he leaves we we’ll see him and besides we’re only a few steps away from her if she screams or he attacks her we’ll hear it and close in within a matter of seconds.’ Amber chatted away.

“We are across the street! If he decides to choke her it would be hard hear.” Jason burst out sarcastically unable to keep the raging angst in him down any longer.

“Yeah I know but this better than before. We were supposed to be two blocks away, the only people who were supposed to be close to them was the guys in the helicopter but you’ve managed to convince detective Webber and here we are, so relax. All we have to do is wait for them to come out, then we’ll follow quietly and after he leads us to the girl’s parents we can arrest and lock him up forever.” Amber explained.

Jason sighed but nodded, he turned his attention back to the boarded up restaurant and watched quietly but reluctantly as Kaleen slid into the restaurant. The moment she was out of sight a feeling of uneasiness settled in his heart. He didn’t like this one bit…..he felt something was about to go very wrong.

                                                                                  *********************

“It’s been seven minutes, why aren’t they coming out.” Amber asked James uneasily, checking her watch for the millionth time.

Oh God, had Ryan decided to kill her on the spot? Jason’s dark thoughts left him paralyzed, he was sure he wasn’t going be able to move or talk again but instinct kicked. He had to make sure she was ok.

“We’re moving in.” he spoke into his earpiece sharply.

“What the hell James.” He heard Amber screaming as he bolted out of the café and made his way quickly towards the restaurant. He was halfway there when he heard gunshots erupting behind him. Instinctively he stopped, turned around and searched for the person who was Shooting.

He didn’t exactly see who it was but he identified the angle from which the gunshots were coming from, the shooter must be hiding behind one of the dustbins beside the coffee shop down the street. But he didn’t have to worry about the shooter because Amber and the rest of his unit were closing in on whoever the shooter was.

The one person who needed his help at the moment was Kaleen; he turned around again and continued with his task of storming into the restaurant. His blood was boiling by now and very breath he took seemed to hurt. He knew she shouldn’t have let her go in there alone with nothing but a tracer, if he hadn’t been so obsessed with catching Ryan he would have made sure she was better protected.