Chapter One

"I'm sorry Ella but we just can't be friends anymore." Jace said no emotions is his eyes, he just stared at me. Jace and I had been best friends ever since we can remember. Both of our moms have been best friends since they were kids, when they were older they moved back to there home town and then me and Jace became friends. But now Jace just tells me that we can't be friends. We didn't even have a fight, which makes this all the more confusing.

"Jace what are you talking about? If this is some kind of joke this isn't funny." I say as the smile fades from my face as I see the serious look on his face, i realize that he's not kidding. "I don't understand. Did I do something wrong?" I ask the fear and worry evident in my voice.

Jace shakes his head and looks down frowning. Just by that little movement I knew that something was wrong. It's not like him to not talk to me or give me an explanation. We have always shared everything with each other so I could tell that he was hiding something. Then I saw the group of kids who were standing a few feet behind him and were staring at us, waiting patiently. It hit me; he was doing this because of them, because he wanted to be part of the "popular" group. It all of a sudden made sense and everything clicked, the fact that ever since he started talking with them he has been pulling away from me.

I look at Jace as anger bubbles up inside of me. "It's because of them isn't it?" I ask raising my voice and gesturing to the group standing behind him. "That's why we can't be friends? What did they tell you to brainwash you to stop talking to your BEST FRIEND?" By this point I was beyond caring that a crowd had started to gather around us. He looked up at me angry; I widened my eyes in shock. He had never looked at me like that before, a look of pure anger and hatred in his eyes. Sure we have had our fair share of fights but he had never once looked at me as if he hated me.

"They didn't brainwash me. They just helped me realize what you're doing to me."

"Oh really? And what did they make you realize Jace? How much of an asshole you are?" I raised an eyebrow at him as the crowd around us starts to get bigger. Jace now looks utterly pissed, he pushes me up against the lockers putting both his hands on either side of my head.

"No, but do you know what they did make me realize? They made me realize how much you're ruining me and my reputation. I don't even understand why I became friends with you in the first place, your nothing. No wonder why you don't have any friends." My eyes start to water at his words but I held them back not wanting to look like a coward. I was ruining his reputation? That was his big reason for breaking our friendship? To think that I just wasted 13 years being his friend. Being there for him whenever he needed me. I stared at him as a few tears ran down my cheeks and I shoved past him trying to get away, away from the guy who had just broke my heart.

I turned around and looked at him with anger in my eyes. "If you ever need a friend to lean on don't come crying to me because your new so called 'friends' aren't there for you. I'm done with you Jace...you have no clue what you're giving up. You probably don't know it now because they made you somehow see things differently, but I was the only true friend that you really had." After that I turn around and walk away from him and the crowd that had gathered around to listen in on our fight. I walked out of Jameson Middle School and walked home, finally letting the tears fall down my face.

From that day on I made a promise to myself to never let anyone in. Never let anyone get so close to me to the point where they could break me apart just like Jace did. I made myself promise that I would never be so stupid as to trust anyone because this feeling that I have. The feeling of complete pain and overwhelming sadness because I had just lost my best friend, the only person I trusted. It is the worst pain I have ever felt. With this new rule that I had just made myself promise I would never break, hopefully I would never have to feel this pain again.

***************************

Four Years Later

***************************

"Ella if you don't get up right now your gonna make us both late for school." I groan and pull the covers over my head, trying to ignore my best friend as she tries to wake me up for school. Because my parents leave for work so early and so does Lilly's mom, it's just become habit for her to come over to my house before school.

"Lilly just five more minutes." She then pulls all of the sheets off of my bed. She stood there with her hands on her hips, annoyance plastered all over her face. I look up at her as she stands there all dressed and ready to go. She wears a black skirt the come to the middle of her thighs and a lacy white top with a pair of black open toes stilettos. Her waist long straight hair somehow makes her tall and skinny body even skinner. I was honestly jealousy of her amazing body. She's all tan, tall, and beautiful and I'm just average.

I groan but get up anyways, I look at my phone and see that it's 5:30 and we don't normally leave for another hour. I glare at her, "Lilly it's fricken 5:30 in the morning, didn't you say we had five minutes before we leave?" I say as I glare at her for waking me up so damn early, she was definetly going to pay for this later.

"I never said that, all I said that if you didn't get up now that you would make us both late for school." she says as she deviously smiles at me.

"It's 5:30 in the morning...and school doesn't start till 7:30. Why the hell did you wake me up? Why are you even up? You don't normally even wake up until 6" I ask confused on what the occasion was.

"Oh just get up will you its a surprise." she says shoving me towards the bathroom. I turn around giving her a suspicious look. "This better not have anything to do with my birthday."

"Psh...nooo, this has nothing to do with the fact that your birthday is today." she says not looking at me. I roll my eyes and giggle a little and shake my head. She always was a horrible liar, ever since we became friends she could never tell a lie.

"You really are a horrible liar Lilly." I shake my head while walking into the bathroom. I take a quick shower and get dressed into a pair of jean shorts, and a navy blue t-shirt with a leather jacket and a pair of converse. I take one last look at myself in the mirror and admire myself. I look at my long brunette hair that hangs down to my midback in soft waves, and my long legs that I got from my mother who used to be a model. Then I look at my midsection and the little curves that I have and wonder what guys actually see in me, its probably because I let them take advantage of me. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror any longer and walk out into my room to find that Lilly probably went downstairs to get something to eat.

I sit down and think to myself how I got here, how I got to the point where I didn't even care about myself or about my self respect. Then I think back to that day in 8th grade, that day when the guy I had a crush on for a long time broke my heart. Did he really have this power over me? The power that just because he broke my heart I change entirely who I was? I shake my head shaking my thoughts away.

I grab my backpack and head downstairs where I find Lilly lounging on my couch eating a poptart. I spot her and laugh grabbing it from her hands and eat the rest. "Hey! That was my poptart." I raise an eyebrow at her. "Technically it's mine seeing as its my house and I bought it." she rolls her eyes shutting off the tv and standing up.

"Whatever, you ready to go?" she asks as I stand up and finish the poptart.

"Ready as i'll ever be. Where are we going anyway?" I ask obviously curious because its only 5:45 where could we possibly be going.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." She says winking at me as we head out the door to her house. I lock the door and then run across the street where Lilly lives. We get in the car and drive off. She starts to drive into the city, we live on the outskirts of Chicago, the more we get into the city the more curious I become.

We are stopped at a red light pulled a little bit too far into the intersection. All of a sudden I see a car speeding towards the intersection just as the light turns green.

"LILLY LOOK OUT!"

AN: Hey guys please tell me what you think i would love to know. sorry about the cliff hanger i just couldn't resist. I don't know the next time i will update but i promise it will be soon.

Dedication to illgetthereoneday for editing part of this chapter and for being my fangirl buddy ;D

Vote, Comment, and Share

Laters, BurntToasttt