Spiritual Networking - Chapter 2

For being you and loving me...even though I am me!!

*******************************************

Chapter 2

Paul was at the staff meeting on Tuesday getting ready to give his weekly report. Pastor Davis took a risk with Paul when he graduated from college earning a degree in Pastoral Studies. No one had ever heard of a Social Networking Pastor, and a couple of the pastors he pitched the idea to laughed in his face. Pastor Tony Davis was not one of them. He actually saw a future and a need for a pastor who was familiar with the digital and virtual world.

Although Paul always wondered if he earned the job, or if Pastor Davis was influenced in hiring him by his daughter Sydney, who was a good friend of Paul’s. Sydney knew how hard Paul had been working to find a pastor who would give him a chance.

Tony gave the floor to Paul, “This past week, I found a website that could be a great ministry tool. It allows people who write to post their stories, poems and short stories for others to read. It already has a community base and I began posting a devotional I am calling ‘Walking in Faith’. I hope to reach out to this community that is made up of a variety of diverse individuals from all over the world.”

“Sounds great. What is the website?” Tony leaned back in his chair and looked thoughtfully at Paul. Once Paul said that there was already a community built in, Tony’s eyes lit up and he knew the pastor would be interested.

“Wattpad. Their fan base is a variety of readers, but they do have categories you can follow and put your work in. My devotional will be in the Spiritual category.”

“That sounds great, keep me informed how it is going,” Tony said, “How is the Virtual Home Study?”

“Great. Sunday night we had fifteen attend and one person came in, not knowing it was a Bible study, and gave his heart to Christ in the end.”

“That is great news!” Sydney said.

Sydney had gone to college with Paul and convinced him to propose his idea to her father for the position of Social Networking Pastor. Sydney had a crush on Paul while attending college together. Since coming home they grew to be even better friends, but nothing more. Paul respected Sydney, but saw her as nothing more than a friend.

Along with his other duties, Paul managed the church website, Facebook account and basically anything on the Internet that was church related.

“I have also begun posting church and Bible trivia questions on the church’s Facebook page. I thought it would be a great way for people to learn more about the church. Especially those in the virtual world.”

“When do they learn the answers to the trivia?” Tony asked.

“They will be on the Sunday video announcements at church and then posted on the website and Facebook on Monday morning,” Paul said. “I need possible questions from every department and group. They can email them to me to use as needed.”

“That is a great idea!” Sydney said. “Why don’t we brainstorm some ideas later over lunch?”

Paul nodded and turned the meeting back over to Tony. Sydney scooted her chair a little closer to Paul and put her hand on his arm. Leaning over, her perfume was almost intoxicating. She whispered into Paul’s ear, “We can try that new Italian place over on Barrett.” As she spoke her breath was warm and stung Paul’s cheek and neck where it caressed him.

Paul just smiled at her, like a friend would do. He had again started seeing signs of flirtation with her for the past few weeks. He thought he squelched Sydney’s advances in college, but found it easier to ignore the advances then to hurt Sydney, whom he considered a dear friend. Telling her he loved her like a sister and that he was intent to work on his degree and ministry, would probably not work again.