Beware Of The Monsters - Nosh/Ziall

This is dedicated to Anonymous43 because her Ziall story 'Save me from the monsters' inspired this one-shot

Vote comment follow? Means the world.

And wow 1400+ reads thankyou all you lovely people.  

"Beware of the Monsters" Thats what they whisper while shooting dark glances at the wild forest and the white cliffs beyond them. They believed that the monsters lived in the woods and came out at night and preyed on innocent victims.

"Protect your children!" They used to shout at night before dragging us children inside and double-bolting the doors and windows. Before shutting down the town with no lights and no traces of life. The town was at night a dead town the only people out were protecting the town.

I used to think it was all talk to scare us children, an old wives tale. A legend that was from hundreds of years ago. I used to scoff at the adults and laugh. But that was before it happened. That was before I met one.

********

It was a cold summers night and the sun was setting in the distance lighting up the world in an orangey, pinky glow and the last rays of sunlight were casting shadows upon the cold ground. I was on my roof top with my best friend Josh watching the sunset. The orange rays of light reflected off Josh's brunette hair and created a halo around his head. That’s what he was an angel and frankly he had never looked so beautiful.

 I was in love with Josh, and he was my best mate. Time and time again I had told myself no good could come of this, this feeling, but I couldn't control myself around him. Everything that he did pulled me towards him and I don't know who much longer I could last, have this self control around him. He was just so damn perfect I guess, the way his brunette hair was soft on my fingertips, the way his eyes lit up when he talked, the way that he protected me, the way that he wasn't afraid to be himself around me. But most of all I loved the way he loved me as a friend, he would hug me, kiss my cheek and forehead, the way he would keep my secrets, the way he would stay up all night with me. I was falling for Josh Devine and he just didn't know it yet.

I leant back into Josh's chest and he wrapped his long arms around my waist and pressed his lips into my hair. I felt my heart skip a beat and I felt my stomach flip around and I felt content in his arms. I was at home in his arms. In the arms of my best friend. I wanted to tell him, but I didn't want to lose his friendship. He was my only friend in this village, I had come out of the closet last year and I had lost all my friends apart from Josh. Unfortunately because he hung around with me Josh was also labelled as gay, but he had never denied the rumours that he was. I leant in closer to Josh as the last rays of sunlight disappeared over the cliffs and a warm breeze wafted through our hair.

I looked down at my watch and sat up quickly realising what time it was. I looked around and sure enough the town had shut down for the night. All the doors and windows were boarded up and double locked. No street lights were on, and everybody was safe in their homes. Everybody apart from Josh and I. I looked over at Josh panicked and he was staring at the sky looking scared, I followed his gaze and gulped.

 Tonight was a full moon.

The sky was beginning to darken quickly and the silvery moonlight cast its beam upon our town. I looked at the woods, the gnarled trees casting distorted shadows upon the floor. I began to shake in Josh's embrace. Quickly Josh turned me around in his arms so I was facing him and he leant his forehead against mine. He breathed his sweet breath into my face and I instantly relaxed. I looked into his eyes and I found nothing but panic carefully hidden. I brought up my courage and closed my eyes and pressed my lips to Josh's.

Almost immediately Josh pulled back with an incredulous expression. "Niall, what are you doing?" he asked gently not wanting to hurt my feelings.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek and almost immediately Josh's finger caught it and wiped it away. "I like you Josh" I whispered brokenly.