Chapter Thirty-one

The cringes on the door almost popped out of their place after I slammed it hard.

I just got back from a long walk after explaining my former boss, aka Lady Pompous, that I had a former contract with my father that I needed to continue. The woman almost laughed at me and informed me that as of lunch hour she had decided that I was no longer needed at the office. That my opinions were far too Americanized to actually work in the UK.

The nerve of her.

To say that I was furious was a complete understatement. Ok, I was prepared for her reaction, I knew that we had completely opposite opinions, but I didn't expect her to make fun of me or even throw a few sarcastic comments on my lack of styling sense, mostly in front of the three minions under her. I thought I had to work for at least two more weeks with her, but when I opened the door to her studio; my things were already packed in a small box and were waiting for me at the door. Granted, the box was completely uncalled for, seeing as I only had an empty mug, but it was the whole matter on how she managed things.

I felt completely humiliated.

Raged, I walked inside my still hideously empty house. Seething, I grabbed my cellphone after dropping the stupid box on the trash can and dialed Kate's number.

The moment she picked up I narrowed my eyes at the empty wall in front of me and  in one breath said, "I am going shopping right now, whether you like it or not. I'm tired of coming home to an empty, ugly, cozy-less place. We need furniture. Righ. Now."

"Ok. Ok. I'm coming down this minute. Geesh."Kate hung up and I stared at my phone figuring out what she meant.

"Had a rough day?" she strolled down the stairs slowly.

I pressed a palm on my forehead closing my eyes, "you have no idea." The fact that I was sleep deprived wasn't helping my mood, too.

"Well, you were really bright this morning, sweetie." She teased me as she grabbed her red coat and put it on. She glanced at the small box filled with large pieces of what used to be my mug. Her green eyes looked at me curiously as she raised one eyebrow.

I shook my head, "you don't want to know." I walked to the door and grabbed the purse that was now on her hands.

"Let's go shopping" she beamed at me. A small smile played on my lips. Kate's constant giddiness was a bit contagious.

"Want to walk?" I asked her as we stepped outside.

She shrugged, "it's not that far." Her blonde hair was pulled up on a neatly bun, but some strays of her were already flowing on all over directions. The weather was becoming colder as we approached November.

A small shiver ran on my spine as the wind picked up. Snuggling my jacket closer, we headed down the street, towards the large stores.

"Want to talk about it?" She asked without looking at me as we crossed the street.

The previous walk home as well as the box dropping as I got home had improved my mood considerably. Not mentioning the fact that we were actually going home-furnishing shopping helped too.

 Not stylish, my ass, I thought bitterly.

I would show her.

Not that she would ever get a glimpse of it, but whatever...

"Weren't you supposed to be working?" I asked all of a sudden curious as to why she was at home at all.

Kate shrugged as she picked up her pace, "I had the afternoon free." After huffing for a moment, "and I kind of wanted to clean the house..."