Rebel One - 4

"Well, that went well, don't you think?" Travis asked as we stepped out of my house. I closed the door behind me and followed him down the front porch steps. I didn't know what to say in response, still at a loss for words from when my father had given me the thumbs up inside.

It was a few days since we'd made the deal and he wanted to go out together to get used to the whole dating thing. And so I could correct him whenever he was not blending in so well. I still had yet to figure out why exactly he wanted to be normal.

He'd come over to pick me up and despite me practically trying to push him out of the doorway so we could leave without having to meet my dad, he stood his ground and walked in. I was so sure my father would freak out at the arrival of my first official boyfriend. Not to mention, it being the guy almost the entire school had labeled as the delinquent. I'd had other guys over that I secretly took an interest in, but it was never official. Not that this was particularly a normal relationship anyways. Conversation had started when my dad spotted a glimpse of Travis's AC/DC shirt under his leather jacket and moved on to cars, which both became highly engrossed in.

"Um, yeah," I said, walking after him without really thinking. "I just don't understand how."

Travis laughed for a second and turned around halfway to look at me, "It's all about the shortest responses. Yes, sir. No, sir," he said before stretching like he had just worked out.

"Remind me why I'm helping you then, if you seem to know what you're doing..."

"I need help with everything else. That stuff's faking and easy, though your dad does have pretty good taste in cars and music," he said, walking over to his side of the black Escalade that he drove. "It's the being a boyfriend part that I need help with. And keeping my mouth shut and staying out of trouble. That part I really need help with."

I felt my phone start buzzing as I neared the passenger side door. I started fishing around in my purse.

"Oh!" I heard Travis yell, but I wasn't listening to him as I continued my slow walk. Where was my phone?

I felt movement near me as I bent my head lower, trying to see deeper in my purse.

"Your door, m'lady," Travis said, now beside me before yanking open the door and causing it to smack right into my head.

"Ow!" I cried out as I fell backwards onto the ground. With one hand supporting me, I raised the other to my forehead before looking up at him. Travis stood there with both hands over his mouth as his wide eyes darted back and forth between me and the door.

"Damn! I didn't mean to!" he yelled before pulling me quickly up to my feet like I weighed nothing.

Note to self: Do not think about his muscles right now. Inappropriate timing.

"I don't think anyone really means to hit someone in the head with a door," I breathed out when I had regained my balance.

"You'd be surprised," he said with a smile on his face like it was a joke of some kind. I didn't get it but didn't have time to question him. He moved my hand from my forehead and looked at it before nodding.

"Not too bad. Maybe just a small bump, if anything. Sorry," he cringed as he apologized. I shrugged, there's not much to do about it now, was there? And I was still living so it wasn't like it was a big deal. I caused similar damage to myself on a daily basis without meaning to.

"Here," he continued and again without warning I was being lifted, only this time I was put into the passenger seat.

"I'm not a rag doll," I said quietly under my breath, grabbing my seatbelt from his hands and buckling myself in. Travis threw his hands up in defeat.