Dorm Room 210: Vodka Love

Author Notes: Edited and revised on the 5th of October, 2017

Please read the author notes in the beginning of the chapter; it'll tell you if I have edited it or if you're reading an old version. Nothing makes sense up until the recently updated chapter, so if you're wondering why sudden things are happening, you're reading the old version.

I'm editing as fast and as best as I can. Thank you xx

Chapter 17

Vodka Love

As the music ran through me, Nicole takes my hand and Rachel's, and move us away from DJ hyping everyone up for another remix to the bar table, lit with pink and white lights. A queue stops before us, nothing more than ten, but all equally trying to get the bartenders' attention.

"What do you feel like having?" Nicole shouts over the music, pointing to a chalk board with written, white shot names listed. I read them, not finding any one appetizing.

"They all sound like poison," I tell her, as she moves in step with the beat.

She shrugs. "They all are. Pick your poison, my shout." She makes an ooing sound. "A sour heart shot sounds good."

Someone pushes me to get through, but Nicole's hand tightens, helping me stand my ground. "Thanks." I nod at the drinks. "What's a sour heart?"

She smiles. "It's a vodka shot. It's about forty percent alcohol but they add raspberry to make it taste a bit sweeter. You want one?"

My lips press together as we move up to the front of the bar, Nicole's ten dollars crisp in between her fingers. I told myself I wasn't going to drink. Images of Noah's parents reminded me why I shouldn't.

So I keep quiet, and watch as Nicole orders two sour heart shots.

She passes one to me once the money is handed over.

"Wait," I protest, fingers pinching the glass, "I don't want one."

She clings my shot with hers. "Cheers!" She tips her head back, as the reddish, pink substance disappears in her mouth within seconds. She turns to me once she's done, confusion mixing in with her happy expression. "What are you waiting for? Scull it! It's one shot."

My fingers grip the shot glass a little tighter, feeling drops of the liquid running down my thumb as someone cuts in to the front. Rachel comes around with two beer bottles in hand, watching.

I swallow. Damn peer pressure. My eyes shut as I move the glass to my lips, tipping it back fast like cough syrup. I expect the same, vile taste, the clumpy fluid biting my senses in bitterness, but instead, the sweetness of the raspberry hit me with a much less pungent aftertaste, making it easy to swallow.

I stare at Nicole in amazement as she laughs, taking the glass away. "It's good, right?"

"I feel weird," I manage to say, my chest growing warm from the alcohol sliding through. "I'm buzzing inside."

Rachel leans in close, eyes twinkling mischievously. "Just means you need to have some more." She holds up the beers in front of me. "Going to find Jesse."

"I'm buying the next round," Nicole says, pulling out a twenty from her bra. "Rachel, stay for the shot!"

I stop Nicole before she turns around. "I'm paying this time."

She shakes her head, shooting me a 'you crazy?' look, black hair shaking over her shoulder. "This is my treat for taking you out. It's your first time at a club, and you're here to have fun. Don't worry about the money, there's more where that came from."