Keeping My Promises To You

The waves crashing white on the sandy shore send the smell of the sea breezing to my face. Whipping my hair around to cover my eyes. I brush it back with a sigh. The sun has long gone from sight. I shrug off the slight coldness of the breeze.

"Daddy, where are you going?" His packed bags litter the living room floor.

"Away, but so not fear my princess, I will see you once again." He squeezes my hand and picks up his bags.

"When daddy? When?"

"When it's time."

Reality comes back to me as my cheeks get colder. That's when I realize I'm crying. Angrily, I wipe away the tears. Why cry over the past? It's no use crying over a lost cause. I bring my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around them. I smile, thinking back to high school with my Zach. Zach Dessero. Not exactly love at first sight, must I say. I close my eyes and go back. Back before the commitment to my husband at an early age, before parties ad drugs. Way back, before graduation. Back to Sophmore year. The year everything went wrong for the right reasons.

"Mimi, I'm going to be late! We have to go now!" I yell impatiantly up the stairs.

"Oh, that's right! You have school!"

"Mimi," I groan. "It's the middle of the school year, of course I have school!"

"Really? You have a full year of school?" I roll my eyes.

You see, Mimi can be forgetful.

I see her disheveled blonde ponytail appear as she trips out of the hallway. She jumps up and runs down the stairs.

"Where are my keys?"

"In your coat pocket, like always."

"Oh really now?" She says arching an eyebrow at me."Since when? Ms. Know-It-All?"

"Since last night, and forever ago?"

I glance at the clock.

"And now we're late!"

"Well it's not my fault your stupid school decided not to stop school in the middle of the year."She sighs. "Some people are just too stupid. Is my car filled with oil? Did you..."

Scratch that, forgetful is an understatement.

I groan again.