Weeping Willow (Part One)

Start from the beginning

Looking at my reflection, I took notice of my long, black hair which hung down to my waist limply. My skin was so pale it was almost translucent. My cheeks were rosy, and my lips were red. My eyes were like large, aqua-colored marbles and my ears.

My ears were pointy! It was a deformity that I shared with my mother. We always covered our ears with our long hair, but sometimes, they poked out. It was hard to keep them covered. I was always insecure about them, because I was called Spock in school. My mom promised that when we had enough money she would pay for me to have surgery. I looked forward to the day I would look like everyone else.

Today is a new day, I thought, shaking the negative thoughts from my head.

"Are you okay, sweetie?"

I turned and saw my mother standing in the doorway. She wore a look of concern that I knew well. "Sure," I responded with a weak smile, grasping the amethyst amulet around my neck. I had it for as long as I could remember. I wore it all the time. I felt naked without it. Whenever I felt embarrassed or uncomfortable, I found that when I held it in my hands I instantly felt better. It was my security blanket.

"Well, hurry up and come downstairs. I thought we could order pizza and watch a movie," she said, making her way down the staircase.

"What about unpacking?" I called after her.

"It can wait until tomorrow," she yelled back. "Summer is almost over, and I want to spend as much time together as possible."

It made me sad to think that this would be our last year together before I went off to college. I tried to clear my mind of the thought of having to leave home. Instead, I adjusted my T-shirt in the mirror and ran downstairs.

* * * * *

CHLOË:

I walked leisurely in the woods.

The branches were covered in frost, and the ground was blanketed with freshly fallen snow. I walked down a snow covered path that extended as far as the eye could see and was flanked by large oak trees. There were no signs of human life, and I was solely surrounded by nature.

All of a sudden, there was a light gust of wind and fresh snow flakes fell from above much to my own delight.

Looking down at myself, I saw that I wore a beautiful gown that was light and airy. I was guarded against the cold by a thick, white cape and matching gloves. I wore fur booties on my feet, and my amethyst amulet hung from around my neck.

Walking through the field of oaks, I couldn't describe the sense of freedom I felt. I was in an isolated place. I was surrounded by nature and all its beauty. I felt at home.... I couldn't help but smile, feeling warm despite the weather.

I watched as squirrels ran up and down the trees. I heard hawks squawking as they circled above the leaf canopy.

I began to run, leaving tracks in the snow in my wake. Giggling with delight, I made snowballs and threw them at trees. When I was done with my play, I trekked forward. Oblivious to my final destination, I knew I wanted to see as much as possible before I got there.

Suddenly, my attention was sparked as I heard a noise up ahead, igniting both fear and excitement within me. It sounded like a voice of some sort. It seemed to be angry. Maybe, even in the midst of a heated argument.

Silently, I moved towards the sound, feeling a bit curious. My long coat dragging behind me, I stopped at a clearing in the forest. Every instinct within me told me to hide, and I obeyed, concealing myself behind a snow-covered bush. It took time for my eyes to adjust to the scene before me. My vision grazed the figure that was causing the commotion.