Chapter 7

Go vote for Adopted in the wattyawards under action and don't forget to vote for it here with one click of a button. :)

Chapter 7

After we had discovered what was inside the envelopes, Wendy and I were so much happier and in a much better mood, but I could tell Wendy was still upset, who wouldn’t be?

“It’s not that important that we make a lot in the fundraiser now is it, seeing we have them?” I asked Wendy, gesturing to the envelopes. 

“No it’s not as important but still important as the money is saved up for a reserve we are planning on building at Wake Summer Island. I nodded understandingly.

***

I pulled open the cupboard in the corridor and flicked my way through piles of papers until I finally came across a file that had recipes written in fancy red writing. I flipped it open and on the first page was a recipe for bread, on the next page was curry chicken. I kept on flicking through the book; I needed to find something we could bake.  On the last few pages I finally found recipes for cupcakes and cakes. There was carrot cake, blueberry muffins, marble cake, chocolate cake, vanilla mud and more deliciously recipes. Just thinking about them made my stomach growl; after all I hadn’t eaten in a while. The last meal I had was that disgusting spoilt baked beans.    

I took the file to Wendy and she showed me what she had found. Altogether we had about thirteen recipes. I went down to the garage where the boys were and I was so surprised to see the amount of items they had collected for the sale. 

“Wow, you haven’t used any of these things in six months?” I asked shocked. There were at least fifty items setting on the floor piled up on each other. There were old statues, a new vacuum cleaner, a fan still in the packaging, three computers, four brand new printers, and many couches plus other house hold accessories.

“Yep, none of these things have even been used once,” said Aaron.  “They are all gifts.”  

“What about all the statues?”

“I don’t even know where they came from,” replied Andrew.

“You guys are unbelievable. You know you could have given this material to charity?” the boys said nothing, but got back to doing their work. I decided to help them, so I took down a box from one of the many shelves in the garage. Inside was a letter opener, I had no idea there were even such things as letter openers.

“Have you guys used this in the past six months?” I asked.

“No,” replied one of the boys. I added the small letter opener to the constantly growing pile on the garage floor.

“What about this?” I asked holding up a teapot set that looked three hundred years old. It was dusty and the design on it was worn out.

“Don’t put it into the pile! That teapot has been in our family for seven generations!” cried Andrew.

“Ok, ok calm down. I was just asking,” I put the teapot back where I found it and picked up a snakes and ladders bored game. I heard them all sigh in relief.

“This?” I heard another sigh and turned around.

“Can you just leave and let us do it, by asking us if used every single thing you pick up, you slow us down. We can’t keep looking at what you have in your hands!” yelled Andre. Gosh I hated it when he was like that. I put the game down and stormed out of the garage. Behind me I could hear the boys getting back to work.

***

I was sitting on the couch next to Wendy flipping through the recipe book discussing what we were going to bake when Aaron walked in.

“We have gotten everything mum, there is a massive mountain of unused gear on the garage floor,” said Aaron with the other two boys trailing behind.

“Let’s see,” replied Wendy, getting up and gesturing for me to follow. Arriving at the garage I was beyond shocked. Almost half the garage was piled high with various objects and the shelves looked unbelievably empty seeing as its contents had been emptied.

“Wow!” I said in awe, while Andre just cracked up laughing. I glared at him. “What’s so funny?” I asked annoyed.

“Oh nothing, just your face!” he replied sarcastically, starting to laugh yet again. I gave him my death stare which just made him laugh even harder. Sometimes he could be so annoying!

“Alright you two enough, we only have nineteen days before the sale we need to organize things. I will start pricing these and you four get on the computer and design a poster for the bake sale and the garage sale.” said Wendy.

I raced upstairs to the computer hoping to get there first and I did, but Andre and the boys just went straight passed me and up the next flight of stairs. I sighed this was going to be a long day. I followed the boys to the computer on the third floor. Did I forget to mention there were at least two computers on each floor and one in every room? I decided to just walk around a little seeing as I probably wouldn’t get my way with what I wanted on the poster.

 I saw Andre, Aaron and Andrew at the computer so I went to see what they had come up with and it was a complete mess. There was writing everywhere and no color. It was definitely not eye catching; no one would come to the sale with posters like them!

“That looks horrible,” I complained making a face at them, Andre glared at me.

“Let’s see you come up with something better!” replied Andrew.

“Fine!” I said, accepting the challenge. Logging on to the other computer, I opened a word document and began typing ‘Bake sale and garage sale’ in fancy writing. I got pictures of different cakes and cupcakes and also pictures of some of the things that we were going to sell in the garage sale. I also typed up all the information people would need if they wanted to come. Once I was done I showed the boys. I smirked as their mouths dropped open and they tried to close it before I noticed.

“So… it’s that good is it?” I asked cheekily.

“No… Only girls will come to a bake sale and that’s a girly poster and guys will come to a garage sale so let’s print both,”

“How do you know only girls will come to a bake sale?” I asked. He just ignored me and turned back to the computer. How rude! Why was I helping again? Wasn’t I meant to get them to Lisa without the money so that Astra could be whatever to Marlon?

“How much do I print?” I asked

“Hmm, well we are printing both so we’ll need less, how about thirty each?” I nodded and changed the quantity to thirty, then clicked print. I watched as dozens and dozens of paper flew out of the printer.

“We need more paper!” I said getting up and grabbing a whole new pack of A4 sheets. Clicking continue after the paper was replaced, I saw the bright posters that I had made and them the dull, boring ones that the boys had come up with. Once all of it had been printed I scooped them up and set them on the table.