Chapter 5

Go vote for Adopted in the wattyawards under action and don't forget to vote for it here with one click of a button. :)

Chapter 5

10/4/2011

Dear Diary

It’s been three days! When are we going to get out of here? You know I hate not knowing things. The snake bit in my leg is getting better; Aaron says it wasn’t a poisonous snake and that I would get better soon. You want to know how he knows? Apparently he’s very interested in snakes and has studied them. I don’t know what he means exactly, but whatever. I’m hungry, talk to you later.

I stepped outside into the cold autumn weather. I still had a great deal of pain in my foot, but I could handle it. As I looked around at all the plants and luscious, green trees I saw Andre sitting on a log smoking, but as I got closer, I realized the smoke was coming from something on the ground. He was cooking something. I froze, it couldn’t be!

“Is-is that a rabbit?” I stuttered.

“Yes, we went hunting in the night, want some?” asked Andre.

“I’m not eating that!” I shrieked looking at the meat skewed onto a stick burning above the flames. I mean seriously, to me rabbits were pets not food. I wasn’t eating it and that was finale.

“Fine, it’s your loss. You’re not going to be able to find much else to eat,” he replied with a shrug.

“Humph!” I grumbled stomping away back into the cabin.

After an hour of rampaging through the cupboards, searching high and low, I finally found a tin of backed beans and a can opener, I was starving, and the boys would probably have already eaten. I hungrily scoffed down the food. It tasted funny and old.

***

The rest of the day past by in a daze, I spent most of my time avoiding Andre, Andrew and Aaron as much as I could. I would occasionally see them and when I did, I turned in the other direction and continued walking. I could see it in their faces; the hurt and confusion. As I was walking I passed Andre, he opened his mouth to say something, but I turned around and headed to the cabin. I didn’t have any dinner, mostly because I couldn’t find anything. Taking my phone out, I texted Lisa.

Are you trying to get me killed? These people are murderers!

Hazel, what are you talking about? They are not murderers! Just continue with the plan, what are you even doing still awake? Go to sleep! I put my phone away, even with Lisa’s reassurance, I wasn’t completely satisfied, and they could still harm me if they wanted to.

I woke up in the middle of the night, I really didn’t know why, but I was sleepy and I was about to go back to bed when I noticed something or rather someone. He grabbed a handful of his black hair and pulled it off. Wait, he what? I rubbed my eyes and looked again. I gasped. I was wide awake now. He was wearing a wig. Why was he wearing a wig? Maybe so the police couldn’t find him. I gasped again and the boy began to turn around. I quickly lay back down and shut my eyes. Please don’t see me! Please don’t see me! I couldn’t let him know that I knew he was a murderer. Were the rest of his family murderers too? Somehow Wendy didn’t seem like the type to be a criminal, but looks can be deceiving.

***

I woke up in the morning to the sound of a car screeching to a halt. I got out of my bed and saw Aaron, Andrew and Andre walking towards the sound, I decided to follow them, since my foot had completely healed on its own, I had no trouble walking. I followed the boys, but kept a good distance behind them.  I stopped as soon as I saw the limo. Yes! We were free. They had found us at last. I ran up to the driver holding the door open and gave him a massive hug, completely forgetting that these people could be kidnapping me. The driver looked at me surprised. Andre gave me a smile, which I did not return.  

“Why didn’t you come and get us before? You know we would be here,” Andre said to the driver.

“Yes, I am very sorry sir. The house was surrounded for longer than we anticipated,” replied the driver.

“Wait, we weren’t lost?” I asked shocked.

“Of course not, like I would ever be lost!” said Andre. I clenched my fists; he was so full of himself.

“You made me think that we were lost! When I asked you where we were you said you didn’t know. What’s wrong with you?” I yelled looking out the window and ignoring everyone.

***

I smiled when we got to the house; Wendy was waiting for us inside the gates. The house looked completely normal, like nothing had happened to it.

“Oh, thank God you’re all ok. I was so worried when Astra was chasing you guys!” she cried, throwing her arms around us. I froze she knew about Astra?

“Astra?” I asked trying to find out how much she knew.

"The leader of the people who tried to shoot Andre,” said Wendy.

“Mum, where is dad?” asked Aaron looking around. Wendy froze, her face going hard.

“Astra took him,” she replied in a small voice, shaking. My heart plummeted, so this was the start of the plan. I felt so guilty seeing Wendy teary eyed and the boys staring at her like they didn’t believe her.

“What?” Aaron asked so softly it sounded like a whisper. Wendy sniffed.

“Astra sa-said we had one month to get $1,000,000 or else Marlon would…” Wendy stuttered, not finishing the sentence. A million dollars? That was a lot, how were they supposed to get all that? Man, I wish I had asked all the details from Lisa before agreeing to this!

***

 “We need to find the money to get Marlon back!” said Wendy in a shaky voice. We were all gathered around at the table discussing what had happened. Apparently after Astra had shot at us, they had gone to the house thinking that would be where we went, but then discovered that we weren’t there and they took Marlon.

“But, you guys are like supper rich don’t you have the money?” I asked, feeling guilty, but wanting to get the money so Lisa and I could travel the world and do what we wanted to.

“We do… But, we can’t spare all that, we need it for our…” she stopped mid-sentence realizing what she was about to say.

“For your what?” I asked. “What are you guys? Why are you so rich?” suddenly everything was quiet and everyone was interested in something on the floor. I sighed.

“Are you murderers? Are you going to kill me? Is that what you want?” I asked, hoping to get something out of them.

 “We aren’t going to kill you honey,” replied Wendy clearly shocked. Relief washed over me.  Andre looked at his mum and she nodded. He reached up to his head and pulled his hair off- or should I say wig.

“This isn’t who we really are, we’re all wearing wigs,” said Andre. I looked and sure enough his hair wasn’t the same dark brown that it was used to be. It was a lighter brown with dark tips. I gasped. My heart started to race faster and faster as one by one the rest of his family started reveling their true identity. Aaron and Andrew had the same light brown as Andre’s and Wendy was a brunette.