Chapter 3

Go vote for Adopted in the wattyawards under action and don't forget to vote for it here with one click of a button. :)

Chapter 3

I woke up in a comfortable, queen sized bed, confused. Where was I? Suddenly I realized that I was in my new home and that I could have whatever I wanted! Racing down the stairs, I started happily humming an unknown tune, but that came to a sudden stop when I bumped into a wall. Wait! There weren’t any walls on staircases. Looking up I noticed I had bumped into a person not a wall! He looked exactly like Andre, but taller and bulkier. 

“Sorry!” I exclaimed.

“It’s ok, you’re Hazel right?” he asked.

“Yeah…” how did he know me? Surely this wasn’t Andre!

“Oh sorry, my name’s Aaron, one of Andre’s older brothers” he replied, seeing the confusion on my face. Realization suddenly dawned on me. Of course! Lisa did tell me he had two brothers.

“Hazel, Aaron, Andrew, Andre, Marlon come for breakfast!” Wendy called each member of her family.

“Umm, which kitchen do we go to?” I asked embarrassed. Aaron laughed and gestured for me to follow. Aaron and I raced each other downstairs to the first floor, but then I saw another Andre, but smaller than Aaron and bigger than Andre.

“Hi I’m Andrew,” the boy introduced himself, holding his hand out. Shaking it I replied.

“I’m Hazel.”

“I know, silly!”

I sat in the seat opposite Wendy, Aaron sat next to me, Marlon next to Wendy and Andre and Andrew on the ends of the table. Breakfast was just as good as the dinner I had eaten the night before. On the menu for breakfast was scrambled eggs and toast, French toast, pancakes, bacon and eggs and about ten types of cereal. I licked my lips as I served myself some chocolate pillows and milk.   

“Hazel, you start school tomorrow with Andre. Aaron and Andrew go to university. You will be going to Hoof beat high, your clothes are in your cupboard,” stated Wendy. The thought of school never even registered in my mind. I had been homeschooled since I could remember. And Hoof beat high? What a name for a school, but obviously it was good seeing as Wendy and Marlon were sending us there. Wendy looked like she was waiting for a response so I nodded my head in reply.

After we had all eaten, Marlon explained that Aaron and Andrew lived in an apartment in the city and were only here for two weeks because university hadn’t started yet.

***

That night I went to bed early so I could wake up in time for school, at the orphanage ‘school’ began when ever everyone was ready. I quickly changed into my pajamas and snuggled into my comfortable blankets.

I woke up at 6.00am sharp; I got my uniform and went for a shower. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Quickly I stuffed my diary into my bag along with a few note pads and pens.

 What if no one wanted to talk to me? What if I make a complete fool of myself? I shook my head getting all the negative thoughts out, walking to the kitchen and meting Andre at the front door, though I did get a little lost on the way; I mean it was a massive house.

“Why are you late?” he asked friendlily.

“I got lost,” Andre just laughed at me while I scowled at him.

It was a cool summer morning, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping. We walked for five minutes in silence, but suddenly I heard footsteps behind me. Andre turned around and at once stiffened.

“Damn it!” he hissed, “Get down!” Andre pulled me behind a parked car.

“What?” I asked confused and scared at the same time. Suddenly out of nowhere a gunshot sounded.

“RUN!” Andre yelled, pulling me along with him.

We ran with the sound of more gunshots being fired at us.

“Faster!” Andre yelled just as a speeding car came to a halt in front of us and the door opened.

“Get in!” yelled a voice. Without thinking twice we jumped in. As soon as the door was slammed shut the car skidded off. I was panting like nothing and so confused and terrified. Was this apart of Lisa’s plan? To get me killed? I looked at Andre and he too looked scared, but I’m pretty sure I looked much worse. I realized I had no idea who was driving, relief washed over me as I saw Aaron and Andrew in the front seats.

“Are you ok?” asked Andre concerned.

“Yes. What is going on?” I asked tense. Andre looked to his brothers for help, but they remained silent.

“Well, It’s exactly like I told you, we are rich and people want our money,”

“I don’t think they would kill you just to get some money,” I replied knowing that I was lying. All he did was shrug. I suddenly realized that we were supposed to be at school and I had no idea where we were going.

“Are we going to school?” I asked.

“No” Andre replied.

“Home?” I asked again.

“No, they would probably be surrounding the house.” I gasped.

“What about Wendy and Marlon?”

“I don’t know” replied Andre sighing. He looked deep in thought and concerned too.

“So if we are not going home or to school, then where are we going?” I asked.

“Enough with the questions!” he sighed.

“Fine then be that way. Forgive me if I just wanted to know where we were even going.”

“Sorry!” he said. Silence engulfed the car. I busied myself at looking out the window and trying to figure out where exactly we were going. Seeing as I was new to the country I had absolutely no clue where we were, even when I did see signs I couldn’t tell how far we were from the house or where we could possibly be going. I looked at Andre and realized he was staring at me scowling.

“Could you not do that?” asked Andre looking annoyed. The boys at the front snickered.

“Shut up!” yelled Andre. Wow! This guy had some serious anger management issues.

“Stop doing what?” I asked confused and slightly annoyed at him.

“No one is talking and it’s annoying, say something!” he said.

“No one’s talking and you blame it on me? You’re the one who said enough with the question, I would be talking I f you hadn’t said that!” He just stared at me like I was crazy. Aaron and Andrew cracked up laughing; soon I was joining in too. Andre just sat there scowling and crossing his arms. I couldn’t believe that I was laughing after almost being killed!