Stow Away

Chapter 6

---Kiara's POV---

That night I tossed and turned on what was supposed to be a bed fit for a queen. I didn't know how the royal family slept on these things, they were positively uncomfortable. There was simply something missing. Never before had I felt so lonely. I threw my head back on my pillow and stared out at the star filled sky. It looked so beautiful and the ominous glow from the moon only enhanced the scenery. Now that I was looking at it I found it hard to resist, almost as if it were calling to me. Without thinking I climbed out of bed and walked over to the window. I looked down just to have an idea of how steep the fall would be and once I made the right calculations I jumped. I nearly landed badly on my ankle but I steadied myself quickly. Now I could feel the grass blades entwined in my toes. It felt so good . . .

I paused and inhaled the fresh night breeze that gently blew, lifting only a few strands of my hair. On nights like these none of us wanted to sleep inside. Being outside was much too heavenly.

I walked a bit further away from the wall so I could be in an open area which was essential if I wanted to see the stars. When I did lay down, a feeling of nostalgia swept over me. Summer nights under the stars, laughing, making up our own constellations then pretending we were rich because of the discovery of those 'new' constellations. . .all that only made me feel even more lonely. I didn't want to be here lying alone . . .

I could hear the leaves if the trees rustling and that was the sound that lulled me to sleep, as it always did back at our little camp.

---Rolan's POV---

I woke as soon as the first light of day entered the sky. I needed to get to those street children and back before Kiara noticed that I was gone.

I left my room but before I headed to the carriage I decided to sneak a peek at my beautiful princess. As I placed my hand on the doorknob I was approached by one of the servants who were to be in charge of her. She looked nervous.

"Your Majesty, we can't find the princess. We've searched the entire palace but to no avail."

What?! How could they lose her?! I threw the door open, not willing to acknowledge what she had just said. Getting inside, however forced me to accept it. I was about to turn and storm out when I noticed that the room window was wide open. I walked over to it and looked out. At first I saw nothing significant, just trees, and other parts of the palace but then my eyes just happened to look down and that was when I saw her. What on earth was she doing sleeping on the grass like that? It couldn't possibly be comfortable down there, could it?

After seeing such an odd sight I had to admit that there were many things about her that I didn't understand but that only made me more determined to get to know her. I wanted to understand things through her eyes, if only she would let me . . .

---Kiara's POV---

The sound of approaching footsteps awoke me with a start. I opened my eyes in time to see the prince and a few of his servants standing over me. Had something happened . . . ? He gazed down at me curiously.

"Why are you out here instead of in the bed I've provided for sleeping?"

My eyes shifted to the ground. "I-I can't sleep in there . . ."

"Why not?"

"It's not . . . comfortable . . ."

He tilted his head with a look of utter bemusement. "Why not?"

"I-I don't know . . . Something’s missing . . . I feel lonely . . ."

He sighed. "Well I must make a quick trip into town but I should be back before sunset."