Banana Sushi

Chapter 14: Banana Sushi

            The next morning, when I woke up, my first reflex was to call Lena. I checked the time. 10.00 a.m. Knowing Lena, she probably was already awake, had jogged a couple of miles and had already finished her homework. I called her, and waited for her to pick up.

 “This is pizza delivery service 24/7. What would you like to order?” A girls voice said on the other line.

I looked confusedly at my phone wondering if I had called the wrong number, but the called ID said: Lena. Then I heard a snort of laughter come out from the wannabe pizza delivery girl.

“Are you practicing for your future job, Lena?” I asked innocently.

“I’m just keeping my options open.” She replied with a joking tone.

“Hmm… I’m not sure that those white aprons and hats would suit you.” I teased.

“You’re just jealous that you wouldn’t be able to pull them off as well as I would.”

“For your information, I look very hot in an apron.”

Lena laughed.

“Sure you do! Anyways, why did you call me?”

“Take a wild guess.”

“You want to know how babies are made.”

“Not exactly.”

“You want to know how many bones a giraffes neck has.”

“Nope,” I answered.

“You want to know how my date with Charlie went.”

“And the winner is… LENA!”

I heard her laugh a bit, and then she said: “Meet me at the usual spot in 30 minutes?”

“I’ll be there.” I answered and ended the call.

I quickly started to run around in my room, trying to grab everything I needed. I put on some shorts, a blue shirt, and a pair of old tennis shoes. I put my keys, some money, and my phone in my ticket, and went outside to get on my bike.

The bike ride was familiar by now. I recognized the houses I passed, and I sometimes would even say hi to a couple of people. I liked it here in Tampa. People were nice. The only thing I was missing from back in Michigan was my best friend Kim. She was also a matchmaker like me, and we had met completely by accident. We hadn’t talked a lot since I had moved here, since I was horrible at keeping contact. We would send each other a few facebook messages, but it stopped there. I sighed and promised myself to call her later in the afternoon. Now I had to focus on Lena.

I arrived at the café I had gone to on the first day I had come here, and while I locked my bike, I could see a couple making out.

It was the same two people that had been at the table next to me on the first day. The girl I had made spill her drink on the and now they were together. That put a goofy smile on my face. I stayed smiling like that, until I met Lena at our usual spot.

‘Our’ spot, as I called it, was a part of the beach that was hidden from most people, and not a lot of people came there. Lena told me she had been coming here since she could remember, and that it was her favorite spot on earth.

I walked over to the place she was sitting, and sat down next to her. I was the first to talk.

“I hope you’ve got good news for me.”

“Depends on what you consider good news.”

“Something around the lines: ‘I believe in love again’, should suffice.”