Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sorry for not being on Wattpad for so long. I hope I'm not the most hated person on Wattpad right now ( : The past year has been crazy- college exams, thesis, internship- and I've been feeling pretty depressed over some personal problems... I'm working through those problems, and I'm hoping that writing helps. Thank you all for sticking with me, Luke and Jamie! We love you ( : I'll be working throughout the summer so I don't know when I'll be able to update again, but I'll try my best. THANK YOU! 

RECAP

Aimee (the new girl at school crushing on Luke) is angry that Luke chose Jamie over her and tells Summer about Luke and Jamie's relationship. Summer announced it in front of the whole school, hoping to embarrass Jamie, but Paul (Luke's ex-bestfriend) and Adam (Jamie's ex-boyfriend) jumped to her defense. Jamie's dad was bullied by Luke's dad when they were in high school but no one besides Jamie's mom and Jamie knows.

Dedicated to the wonderful starsandsky for the BEAUTIFUL trailer of Project Popularity (link above) that she made a while back. Go check it out. It blew me away! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Jamie Vandeviere

"Why are you so nice to me, Adam?" I asked, cocking my head to one side as I studied the boy sitting beside me on the park bench. "Summer was right, you know. You should be angry with me. You didn't have to defend me."

Adam rolled his eyes at me. "Because you're still my friend and nothing pisses me off more than people sticking their noses into other people's business."

If Adam hadn't swooped in a while ago, I don't know how things would have turned out. He probably saved me from becoming the most hated person at school because after Adam's intervention, most people seemed to think Summer was making a big deal out of nothing since the person who was supposed to be furious with me and Luke was on my side instead of hers.

This was my first time to be alone with Adam since our breakup. We were sitting in a park near our school, eating ice creams we got from the ice cream truck earlier and laughing over the group of children in front of us cheating their way through freeze tag. I never thought hanging out with Adam, after all that'd happened between us, would be so easy and comfortable.

I felt really bad for thinking it was him who told Summer about me and Luke. I should have known by then that Adam was incapable of doing such things. I mean, this was the guy who spent the last couple of months blaming himself for something that was clearly not his fault.

I shook my head at him. "You need to stop being so selfless, Adam. You're making the rest of us look bad."

He chuckled and held a hand out to a little girl when she almost tripped over his foot while she was running. The little girl eyed us with an embarrassed smile and began sprinting toward the opposite direction.

"Thank you, for helping me out back there and for being so cool about me and Luke," I told him, feeling grateful to have someone like Adam, who didn't hold grudges and always put other people's happiness before his own, in my life. It seemed to me that I'd gotten to know him better after our breakup than when we were together.

"Not a problem." He waved off my apology like it wasn't a big deal. "I told you, we're friends and I've got your back. As for you and Luke... Well, the way I see it, I have two options. I could either be mad about it, make you guys feel bad, lose your friendship, and make things awkward for everyone, or I could just get over it and be happy for you two. The second option seemed like the better choice."