Chapter 2: Dean

Chapter 2: Dean

"Dean? Dean!"

Sighing into my arms, I dismissed the person calling me for the past one minute and went back to what I was doing earlier. I shifted a little in the squeaky chair and adjusted the position of my head on the desk. Sighing again but this time in pleasure, I went back to the activity I cherished the most.

Yes, you guessed it--sleeping.

However, our time together was not meant to be. I felt someone pulling back my chair and in order to save my nose from colliding from the ground, I threw my upper body back as a reflex. Unfortunately, I exerted a lot of force and instead of the chair remaining still, it toppled over backwards. With me in it.

"Christ!" I hissed as I stood up, pain shooting up my head, making my eyes water. Rubbing it to make the sting go away, I glared at the person who was clutching his stomach and shaking with laughter.

"Dad!"

My dad just wiped the laughter-tears from his eyes.

"Oh God, I am so sorry!" he said as he gasped for breath. "Your face though was hilarious." And, with that, he started chuckling again. I just rolled my eyes at him, knowing it will take him some time to settle down. Finally, after five minutes of me, standing there and watching my father, the fire captain, act like a child, I asked the reason he was there.

"Was there any reason you woke me up?"

"Yes," my father sighed, raising his hand to ruffle my hair. "Kellan is here and your shift is over. Go home kiddo." I smiled, finally off the clock.

"Okay." Stepping past him, I went out of the door and made my way towards the locker room, to get my stuff. As I entered, I saw my younger brother Kellan sitting on the wooden bench beside the eight lockers and texting somebody with a bored expression on his face.

"Hey Dean." He greeted me when he saw me. I said a quick 'hi' back in response. "God, I am tired." I said to no one in particular, as I rubbed the back of my neck with one hand and twisted the lock to get the correct combination. I grabbed my bag as soon as my locker door opened and hunted for my water bottle. I found it and took a big gulp.

"Thirty-six-hour shifts tends to do that." Kellan said, his eyes still glued to his phone. I hummed in response. Kellan was normally quiet when he was on his phone and in his own world, so it was quite a surprise for me when he spoke up.

"Dad's birthday is coming up." I nodded and turned around to face him. "You heard about his plans?" he asked, and I gave an affirmative, leaning on the locker beside mine.

"I think it's good. He wants to spend time more with mum."

Before he could reply, our dad's booming voice shouted his name. "Kellan!"

"Coming, dad!" Kellan shouted back as he ran his hand over his head.

"Well!" he exclaimed as he put away his phone in his pocket and rubbed his thighs. "Gotta go, big bro. See you later."

"Later," I said, as I watched him exit the room.

Stretching for a bit, I picked up all the necessary stuff like my phone, jacket, wallet and keys to my apartment and walked out of the fire station.

Shoving my hands in the pocket of my jacket, I shuddered as the cold New-York air hit me. Walking briskly, I turned around a corner and crossed the road to get to the bus-stand where, after waiting for fifteen minutes with a fellow New Yorker, the bus came.

Boarding it and taking one of the window seats in the almost-empty bus, I put on my headphones and set my playlist on shuffle.

As David Guetta's 'Dangerous' blasted in my ears, I settled myself in the seat and looked out of the window to the buildings passing by.

Half an hour later, I got down from the bus at my stop after thanking the driver. Walking the short distance to my apartment, I felt exhaustion rearing its ugly head yet again. Stifling a yawn, I dodged a couple who were coming my way.

Saying a brief 'hey' to my downstairs neighbor, Mr. Savart, who was going somewhere, I trudged up the stairs to my apartment and sluggishly turned my keys.

Sighing in bliss at the simple fact for being at home now, I opened the door and found warm air greet me. "Well," I said to myself as I spotted the heater which was accidentally left switched on by me in my haste to get to my shift on time, "This is one great and super dangerous thing to come home to."

I shrugged off my jacket and switched the heater off as it was too warm inside. As I felt another bout of sleepiness wash over me, I quickly went into my room and got changed. Coming back out in a pullover and warm sweatpants, I grabbed my phone and plugged it into the charger, scrolling for a while on Instagram. After I had read all the notifications and replied to a few memes which my friends had tagged me in, I climbed into the bed and was asleep before my head met the pillow. 

--------------

If you liked this chapter, follow the cute little kitty and give a like! Or comment! I would love love love to hear your thoughts.