Chapter Thirteen

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." 

- Albert Einstein

***

Chapter Thirteen: 

"Are you ready to get inside?" Parker asked Nola as he loosened his hold and looked down at the girl before him. He saw that she had stopped crying and was lost in thought. However, he felt that the thoughts she was swimming in were not negative, or Mitch related, because she wasn't on the verge of crying. "Nola."

She glanced up at him, "Yeah."

Parker released her and stood up. He leaned down, just a little, and held out his hand for her. "Ready?"

She nodded before staring at his hand. Realization coursed through her that Parker wasn't going to hurt her. He already had so many opportunities to do so by now.

Even still Nola felt like she couldn't completely let her guard down. So, with slight hesitation, Nola grabbed his hand and let him help pull her up into a standing position.

When she was almost all the way on her feet, she felt a sharp pain on her side. Nola, who had been feeling sore and in pain all day, thought she could push past the pain, like normal. However, once she was standing up, the pain grew to the point where she couldn't stay standing.

"Nola!" Parker shouted as he watched Nola start to tip over. He reached out and grabbed her before she came face to face with the concrete.

Nola had not felt this kind of pain before, and that's saying something. Soon, she felt like she couldn't breathe. Her lungs were on fire and searing in agony.

"What happened?!"

Looking up, he saw his mother rushing out of the house and over to them. "I don't know!" Parker stated as he looked down at Nola. At that moment, he noticed sweat beading on her forehead. Panic started to course through his veins as he worried as to what could be going on with Nola. "What should we do?" He questioned as Nola gave a small cry in pain while clutching her side.

Mrs. Sims thought for a second, "I think we need to take her to the hospital."

"No," Nola grunted in pain. She locked eyes with Parker, "They will contact him."

"Bumblebee, you need medical help!" Parker said as he watched Nola start to breathe heavily, clearly struggling for air. "We're taking you," Parker informed her knowing that he was not going to let her suffer any longer. Glancing at his mom, he asked her to get the car started for he was scared to drive in his frightened state.

His mother didn't think twice as she raced back in the house to grab the keys to the car. Her husband had stopped her before she was able to leave the house in such haste.

"What is going on?" Mr. Sims asked with confusion about his wife's frantic state.

"Parker's girlfriend needs to be taken to the hospital," Her words were rushed together and for a second she wondered if her husband understood her. She realized he did when Mr. Sims nodded in reply.

"I'll come with," Mr. Sims confessed and then followed his wife out the house.

By the time his parents were out of the house, Parker was already in the backseat with Nola placed in his lap. Her breathing was getting ragged, and Parker could tell that she had a fever. Part of him feared that she was still sick from the other night. If this was another side effect of the Chloroform, he knew he'd never forgive himself because it would be his fault that she was so sick and, clearly, in pain.