Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Leah

"Chris... I need... I want to tell you something. I don't really know why I need to tell you so bad but I feel like if I don't... we can't be 'good friends' as you said" I said half laughing, half still crying.

"You can tell me anything you want" He said pulling me to the metal bench that was hidden under a flowered arch.

"I'm not trying to make you believe me over my family or... even Jess but I do need you to know... what really happened. I don't want you thinking..." I tried to say before Chris held my hand tightly and said.

"I would never think badly of you and I know you never would wish to speak ill of anyone unless you had to and if you want to tell me what happened I'll listen" he pulled his hand and wiped a tear away from my face, rubbing my cheek a little.

He had no idea what he was doing to me. He pulled away and looked straight into my eyes.

"Go on" he said softly. I took in a large breath and tried to calm down. This was going to me a long story.

"It's weird, I've never felt like I fit in with my family. Never. Not even when I was a child. Well instead of Granddad of course but the rest of my family never noticed me, never showed any kind of love or kindness" I played with the fabric of my dress as I spoke.

"My grandfather had two sons, my Dad James and Uncle Peter. Uncle Peter and Aunt Ava also had two sons Joseph and Alex, my cousins. Alex was the same age as Jess and they were very close at school and then at University. They're both so similar, they're popular, beautiful, and rich and they both know it" I shook my head feeling silly that I was explaining Jess to him. He was dating her, he would know these things about her.

Taking a breath I continued.

"They have always teased me, when I was younger and to even now. At one point it was their favourite game, I think it still is. Once locked me in the garden shed all night and no one found me to the next day" to this day I still can't stand a door being shut behind me. "They are both seven years older than me. I always felt small and worthless compared to them. It was Joseph that found me actually"

Joseph wasn't apart of my childhood really. He was never that bad, he was more of a loner than anything else. He had his own life, his own friends, he didn't care much for the family but the family loved him and always craved for his attention. It's funny to say but its true everyone always thought him the cool one. I think that's why Alex was always the way he is, he always wanted what somebody else had.

I looked around the garden, trying to get through this without a break down. Couldn't have my new 'friend' see me blubbering.

"Alex was always jealous of Joseph. He wanted to be loved and respected, wanted by everyone and above be powerful like his brother" I looked back at Chris who was staring at me with a emotionless expression.

"Alex always hated me as a child" I continued. "He used to hit me and pull my hair. That's normal as kids I guess but it never stopped like most childhood stories do. He always went out of his way to embarrass me and make me feel uncomfortable. It was when I turned sixteen when he started acting... weird around me" I stood, leaving him on the bench as I moved a few steps away looking out across the woods. I felt like I needed the space.

"He just finished University and hadn't seen me in so long, he kept making comments like; you look so grown up, I bet all the boys want a pitch of you, I know I do. He only said them things to make fun of me, making me look like a joke" I laughed awkwardly. "It was two years later, at Joes wedding to Jaz that I thought he was going too far. In front of all his friends one time he slapped my bum and pulled me to sit on his lap. He wouldn't let me go and I didn't want to make a scene in front of all his jerk friends and the other guest so I waited for him to let go..."