Chapter 9

******Don't forget to vote and as always I try hard to return comments!!******

                Jade was confined to bed rest for another day before she deemed herself well enough to leave. On the morning of the third day she made it halfway out of the corridor before Hamlin cut her off. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked, his eyebrows rose on his forehead.

"Out of here," Jade stated firmly. "Bedrest will not cure what ails my body."

"How are you feeling?" Hamlin asked.

"Fine," Jade said and went to step around Hamlin. Spry, despite his old age, Hamlin jabbed a finger into Jade's stomach. She slapped his hand away and cursed as the sharp pain erupted deep in her gut. It was almost enough to bring her to her knees but she took a deep breath and fought through it.

"Uh huh," Hamlin said skeptically as Jade took a step back away from him.

"I'm fine Hamlin," Jade said again. "Just as long as you don't follow me around and jab me in the stomach."

"How do you expect to protect Reiner in your state?" he asked. "You're not in any state to even protect yourself."

"We're working that out," Jade assured him.

Hamlin sighed, "I haven't found anything yet in my inquiries. I'd like for you to stay a big longer where I can examine you when needed."

"No," Jade shook her head. "I'm not staying her a minute longer. I'm sorry Hamin, but I've lived and survived with this thus far and I will continue to do so. Do what you want and inquire where you will but don't expect me to slow down and wait for you."

Hamlin grunted, "Fine."

Jade nodded, "Fine."

He let her go without another word and Jade made her way back to her quarters. Reiner could be anywhere in the palace so she decided she would take a bath and change her clothes. After lying around in bed for two days, Jade was ready to return to normality as quickly as possible. When Jade was clean and had changed they went in search of Reiner.

Phantom put his nose to the ground the moment they stepped out of the room and led the way down the hall. Jade watched with interest as people moved out of the way for the large wolf. He barely lifted his head while he focused on Reiner's scent. Jade knew she could have simply asked someone where to find the prince, but she was fascinated by Phantom's ability to track.

They made their way out of the palace and across the grounds toward the training barracks. Royal guards shifted out of Phantom's way and gave Jade strange looks. She wondered what sort of rumors had spread during her short absence. Reiner was in the training yard, surrounded by a large group of Royal Guard. The men all had their backs to Jade and so Phantom let out a growl to gain their attention. When they noticed a large black beast they quickly moved aside and Jade followed in his wake.

When Reiner and Jade first met they had challenged each other with their swords. Little had Jade known at the time that he was testing her skill, assessing her worthy of his employment. The fight had been cut short when Charles had arrived with the Royal guard, but Jade has quickly realized that Reiner was not a pampered prince. He had been masterful with his blade; it was only Jade's edge with her katana that had given her the ability to end the fight so quickly.

Now she was able to watch from the side as a spectator. Reiner was in training leathers and swinging unmercifully against his opponent. Jade noticed the Master of Arms watching the fight from the side. Jade focused on Reiner's opponent and was shocked to recognize him.