Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

I remembered the time when Cupid had almost went into conversation mode with me. That was junior year. Oh well, I remember the days but then every time the scenario of Him completely ignoring me comes into my mind I give up all the hopes that I still have. So when he turned towards me that day, I walked away because I know it wasn’t me that he was going for. I know it would be someone else.

When the song was finally done, Cupid stood up and clapped his hands. I felt happy somehow about it but then just the thought that we’re only pretending made me feel like a total loser. His song was still cooler than mine because the meaning of the song for me has a greater impact.

I went back to my seat like I was a zombie. I could hear people clapping and shouting neither I could see all their movements but I felt numb. The emcees announced the introduction number prepared by Cupid’s “The Clan”. And even though they were in front of us I couldn’t pay attention to them. My mind was elsewhere.

‘I’ll be here for you’

Andrew. I looked at the crowd to see if he’s there but I couldn’t find him. Why the hell can I easily spot Cupid in a crowd like this while I can’t even see Andrew’s head?

‘Can I have this dance?’ I looked at the open hand in front of me for a while. Then I looked up and met Cupid’s blue eyes.

I took a deep breath. ‘I don’t think I can…’

 He grabs hold of my hand and he pulled me up to my feet.

‘Sure, you can.’

So do I have a choice when he’s already holding my hand?

That’s was when I realized that we had a last dance. When we reached the center of the dance floor, the music started to play which I thought was one of the songs from the High school Musical 3. I guess the title of the song was “Can I have this dance?”.

I took Cupid’s hand when the music started and he glided me through the dance floor like the ones in fairytales. How can I never think like I was just dreaming? This is for real but still it feels like a dream. If only that his feelings are also for real.

When the music started to fade he settled me in an embrace and we just swayed.

He smiled and looked at me, but it wasn’t like the ones that he usually gives me. This one was different because I myself couldn’t explain what it is.

‘You shouldn’t look at me this way.’ I found myself saying but I too, couldn’t keep my eyes off of him.

‘Why not?’ He chuckled.

‘Because—‘ I stopped as he moved his face closer to me. I moved my face immediately.

‘It’s because I am getting conscious.’ I continued.

He snickered this time.

‘Laugh all you want.’ I murmured to him. I know I don’t have much strength to argue with him right now.

‘I’m just happy to be with you right now.’ he said and that made me look at him. Please don’t let me hope for you again.

I placed my pointing finger on his lips not even minding how many people were watching us. Then another song played. Seems like “Back at One”.

He looked at me thoroughly and he held my wrist. Then he sees it and…

‘You’re…’ he smiled and looked at me in quite amazement. ‘You’re wearing it.’