Chapter Twenty-Eight

Christian smiled, a happy flush in his cheeks

           Christian smiled, a happy flush in his cheeks. He'd missed his mom like crazy and was so happy to have her back. Ella hadn't left his side the whole time we'd been here. She was constantly touching him, his hand, his face; the pain in her eyes indescribable. I hadn't seen her in what felt like forever, and I could clearly see the toll Christian's health had taken on her. She wore a pretty flowery dress, her blonde hair cascading over her shoulders, but her face was lined, her eyes tired.

           "He's been treating you well, Mila?" Ella asked, shooting her son a playfully warning look. But I could scent the sadness wafting off her. He grinned back at her. "We girls have to stick together. I don't have to kick Christian's ass do I?"

           "No you don't, Mom." Christian rolled his eyes, and it warmed my heart seeing him like this. He turned to me, expectantly. "I've been good to you, haven't I, Mila?"

           "He's been awesome," I said, smiling. I was happy for Christian, but I was pretty exhausted myself. I wasn't sleeping well these days. There were too many sounds that I couldn't hear before, too many scents in the air that I could smell... even the feel of bed sheets against my skin drove me insane some nights.

           "Yeah, I have," Christian agreed, eyes alight as he looked at me. I could almost ignore the paleness of his skin, and the obvious loss of weight when he looked so full of life standing there. Ella had one hand in the crook of his arm while Rob worked the barbeque. Dad was helping him and Mom was inside, trying to make room in the refrigerator for the dessert she'd made. It was already packed full of food. Rob had really outdone himself.

           "You've raised him well, Ella," Mom said, joining us outside. "You should be so proud."

           "I am. I'm so proud." There was a shine in Ella's eyes as she looked at Christian, bringing tears to my own eyes. Mom looked between them, a deep empathy clear on her face.

           "Every mother's worst nightmare," Mom whispered, so quietly, I shouldn't have been able to hear.

           "I know. I am kind of awesome," Christian was saying, drawing my attention towards him. "Although there was that one time when Mila thought I was cheating on her..."

           Oh god. He had to bring that up. I knew he was just trying to lighten the mood, but I could feel the smile on my face falter slightly. "It was a reasonable assumption to make."

           Don't think about Luca. Don't think about him. It was a constant mantra in my mind.

           "Uh-oh. What's all this about?" Ella looked between us.

           "Yes? This is the first I'm hearing of it," Mom chimed in, looking at Christian suspiciously.

           Christian filled them in on what happened, "...she just stood there glaring at me like I'd kicked her puppy."