Chapter 29

Jackie

I'm starting to regret not going on vacation with my family, but at the same time I drought I was wanted anyway. It's been a good few days since I sign the papers and today is New Year's Eve. When my family came home, I hanged out with them a little bit and they shared stories of their trip. I'm happy they had a good time.

"I'll be back" I said leaving the house. I was craving a burger and a milkshake from Willy's and plus that's the only place I can go that reminds me of them. I was in Willy's in the middle of eating my burger when out of nowhere I saw Kevin and Max walk in.

"Shit" Lucky I sat in the back so they didn't see me. I quickly tried to finish my food as fast as possible because you girl wasn't about to waste money. When I was done my stomach started to cramp up "Damn it" I said touching my stomach "I ate too fast" I felt my food coming back up and I had to hold it in because I saw Kevin and Max walking towards me. I quickly pulled out a ten from my back pocket and placed it on the table. My hair was in braids and put up into a huge bun, so I didn't have time to pull it out to cover my face. I got up and walked towards the other side of the restaurant hopefully they haven't spotted me. As I was getting closer to the front door, looking out the glass door I saw Kevin's mom and dad about to come in.

"Aw hell" I said running back inside. I had to think fast because I knew they were coming in any minute. I saw the waiters walking towards me and I quickly followed them from behind. Ending up in the kitchen. The kitchen was full of people running around giving orders and the smell of food filled the air.

"Hey what are you doing back here?" I quickly turned around to see a big bald man behind me wearing a blue polo shirt with khakis and sneakers.

"Uh...."

"Are you the backup?" he asked.

"UH--yes?" I said not sure.

"Your late," he said taking my arm and leading me to the back of the kitchen towards a back door.

"Wait--"

"We don't have time for this. On the phone, I thought you were white, but we don't have time to worry about that now" he said. When he opens the door I saw a whole bunch of people dressed up in customs. Clothes everywhere, people getting a dress or getting there makeup done "Eric get over here!" he yelled, a tall black man with short blond hair came walking towards us "get her ready we go on in 20 minutes" he said letting me go and walking away.

"Oh a black girl, this should be interesting," he said with a smile "Follow me" he turned and walked away. I followed him to an empty chair in front of a mirror.