Chapter 1

Ella

Paranoia.

That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that makes goosebumps rise on your arms; the one that causes a huge knot lodge itself in your throat, making it more and more difficult to breathe, not to mention the constant feeling of being watched.

I've always been one to look over my shoulder, to fear for what might be lurking in the shadows, but that's only because I've seen things.

Things that other people can't see.

Grotesque creatures that wander the darkness, oozing a black slime, and falling apart at the seams. They don't come out every night, but they're out there, and they've made me such a recluse I may as well live in a cave.

Then, there's the little fact that I've experienced things that other people already lived through, due to visions of their past. My hands touch theirs, and it's like I'm transported into another time and place, not knowing what's going on, what I should look for, or what I should remember. These visions have burdened me so greatly, I've taken to wearing gloves on a daily basis to keep myself in the present.

My eyes also change color according to the weather, normally a brilliant green, but a deep shade of gray when it rains, and they turn dark blue when it's snowing or hailing.

I'm strange, to say the least; but honestly, I mostly like who I am. Besides the raging trust issues, and difficulty opening up to new people, I'm a fairly decent person

Maybe that's why they chose to experiment on me.

I don't really remember what happened that day... There was a big black Ford Explorer, and people in hazmat suits with syringes filled with various liquids. I remember a bright white room, a scratchy hospital gown, and being strapped to a cold metal table as was poked by more and more needles. There was an intense pain, like my skin was being burned and melted off my bones. My throat aches just remembering the screams that tore through me.

And I remember seeing the demons.

I'd seen them before, of course, but always from the safety of wherever I was staying at that point in time, or when I battled them; but here, we got up close and personal.

I was put in cages with them, weak from lack of food and sleep. They were able to feed, to nourish themselves while I was left with no form of defense, no one to save me, even though I was so used to saving myself.

I'm amazed that I'm even still alive. When those people decided they were done with me, finished administering their horrifying "tests," they released me...

Or more, dropped me off in an unknown location with nothing but the clothes they found me in.

Did I mention they left me in the dark as well? On a night that the zombies were out to play?

Yeah, they did that.

So I ran. I ran, and never looked back.

Passing state line after state line made me dizzy, but I refused to stop until I was far enough away from whoever it was that took me, that I'd feel safe again

It was a straight shot to Texas, hitchhiking with a trucker who called herself Venus, after the fly trap she repeatedly told me. From there, I'd taken a bus to Louisiana and stayed for the food, and the hauntings(only touring during the day, of course), then it was another straight shot to Alabama: one of the most forgettable states in America.

Trees covered every inch of my view when I exited the vehicle of some creepy man that picked me up at a gas station fifty miles back. I said thank you, and closed the door of his red camry firmly, making a beeline for anywhere that was open.