♛ 28

Telling Mr. Oak about why or how I got addicted to drugs didn't help me one bit. All he did was nod his head and scribble things down on a notepad. How was this going to help me stop using cocaine? Just sitting down and telling a random old man how I felt only made me frustrated and anxious. Being frustrated and anxious made me want to do a line of coke, so basically this wasn't helping at all. I was already ready to go back home to Maxim. Mr. Oak wasn't helping and I wanted to make sure that I was there for her fight, even if it was months away. Once we were done 'talking' Mr. Oak let me go. I went straight to my room, and sulked. Rehab was boring and depressing. I would rather be anywhere else than here, preferably with Maxim or my friends.

I had told them that I was going to rehab and they thought it would be for the best just like Maxim, but I didn't see any one of them here. If I had to come here because I was addicted to cocaine, then why couldn't Memphis come since she was addicted to weed? Oh yeah, because weed isn't a 'harmful' drug. Yeah, right. An addiction was a f-cking addiction. Being addicted to anything could end up harming you. It didn't even have to be drugs. Some people are addicted to porn, gambling or sex and in ways, all of those could lead to a harmful future. The porn addict could become over ambitious and end up hurting their partner in bed, the gambler could gamble away all of their money and become homeless, and the sex addict could become a rapist or a child molester. There were so many things that were harmful in the world. A lot of things you could go to rehab for, but I was in for cocaine. I'm not saying that I shouldn't be here. I deserved to be here after Ivo nearly died, but there are other people that also should be in my shoes but they're not.

The next afternoon, after lunch, I had to go to a special room for a group session. When I walked in, it seemed like everyone was there. There was a bunch of chairs that were gathered in a circle and one chair was open. The chair was beside Toni, the woman that I had met the day previous. When I sat down, she gave me a nearly toothless smile. I gave her a polite smile back even though I was pretty disgusted. I licked my teeth and swallowed hard. I could be very well like Toni in the future if I didn't straighten up.

"Welcome, everyone," a cheerful woman said. People mumbled greetings but I stayed silent. The blonde lady kept a smile on her face as she showed off her glistening white teeth. I knew Toni was probably jealous.

"Today, we're going to go around and share stories. Don't feel forced. Everyone will not go today! I hope there are some brave volunteers out there that will be willing to tell us why you're here and how you got here."

The room was absolutely silent. A man with a big belly belched to break it, and a few people laughed as I frowned. "So, who wants to go first," the lady asked as if she was nervous no one would fess up. She hadn't even told us her name. How did she expect us to tell her about ourselves when we didn't even know about her. Everyone remained silent which caused the woman to sigh.

"Okay, I'll go first. My name is Dora Welch. I'm from Tennessee, but I moved to New York a few years ago. The reason I am here is because I want to help people such as yourselves get over their addictions. I want to strengthen and uplift people to have a better life. I'd like you guys to know that nothing will be shared outside of this circle. Think of this as your safe haven. Now, will anyone like to go?"

"Yeah," a man with a thick New York accent said immediately. His skin tone was dark and he had a scar going down the left side of his face. He looked from the floor and up to everyone around the circle. "My name is Chris Brown, not like the punk ass singer either. I hate that motherf-cker." I snickered a bit, which got me a few looks.

"I used to be big in gangbanging. There was just something about beating a guy's skull in for owing my crew money, or giving drugs to weak-minded kids. I thought that I was doing my duty to the streets. I was selling the drugs, but I wasn't using them until one of my homies told me to try crack. I tried it. Didn't like it. He told me to try heroin. I tried it. Loved it. Couldn't keep off the sh-t. I became addicted began using my own supply. I started to actually like crack and started using other drugs as well. The boss man figured out that I was using and not paying for what I used, so he kidnapped me. Beat me. Nearly killed me. That's how I got this scar. My family took me up in arms and now I'm at Lakecrest. Who's next?"