Eight Letters. Three Words - Ch. 16

Chapter Sixteen

Frozen

“Shit.”

Leela’s horrified expression stared back at me from the other side of the bathroom. I ran a hand through my new hair, adding the final touches of make up to my now white face. The green eye shadow made my eyes stand out, making them appear what my fellow classmates would describe as creepy.

“What the hell happened to you?” Leela walked closer to me, her face inches away from mine as she took in my appearance.

“You’re an elf?”

“I’m a fairy actually,”

I never knew what it was. The fact that she realized that my hair was green or the fact that she suddenly seemed to understand that I was dressed up as a fairy, but suddenly I found Leela doubling over on the bathroom floor laughing her heart out.

“With all honesty, I think the green suits me,”

She gained her breath back and smiled up at me, “I don’t even want to know why you’re dressed like that. I only hope you’ll be able to remove the sea weed hair color,” she helped me pull my costume on, tying my boots as I arranged the crown poking my head.

Dylan and I had decided to be one of the first people to carry out the presentation, but then like usual, I arrived late; which made our presentation be one of the last. I walked into class, just in time to see Dylan about to begin his speech.

“Oh dear.” Ms. Yalow’s eyes looked like orbs as she took in my outfit, the short dress covered in leaves and flowers, the high boots and green makeup.

“Ms. Yalow, could my partner and I have a second?” Said Dylan, coming to my rescue. He grabbed my hand pulling me into the hallway, and un-shamefully looked me up and down.

“Damn,”

“Like it?” I grinned up at him as he ran a finger through my green spiky hair.

He shrugged, “I prefer it red,”

“I do too,”

I could see it in his eyes, he wanted to kiss me; and the feeling was mutual, but as I thought of the like hood of someone seeing us, of anyone for any reason knowing about us. The mere thought of that scared me to the bone.

I moved away slightly hearing Dylan sighed as I did so.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled, shocked as I truly did mean the words.

“Oh, don’t worry,” He was smiling from ear to ear, “I’m used to waiting when it comes to you,”

Rolling my eyes I walked back into the class, just in time to hear the words of my fellow students reach me.

“She’s such a freak,”

“Such a loser…”

“All green…”

“Attention seeker…”

Staring at the many eyes of the students before me, I realized that I wanted to do this right. I wanted to prove that I could carry out this assignment seriously.

“Break a leg Foster. Please,” Brendan's voice crept over me as he sat down on the first row.

I felt Dylan tense beside me, prepared to sock him in the face if necessary.

“Wish me luck?” I asked him.

He smiled, “Show that bastard what you're made of,” and just like that, by hearing him reassure me. I was ready.