Chapter XLII

“You ready?” Cain asked 

It was just a few days ago that I learned about Isles wanting to speak with me. It felt like a lifetime though. I wasn’t sure I was ready for this. I mean, come on! This was the guy who had done testing on other wolves. I didn’t care that those wolves were willing subjects, that was soo not the point. What if he wanted to run all kinds of tests? What if he decided to poke and prod me? What was he going to do to me? To my son? Oh, gosh, I don’t think I can do this!

“You’re over thinking again.” Cain stated from the bedroom doorway. “Everything is going to be fine.”

I shook my head. “You can’t know that”

“I can and I do. Do you honestly think that he would do anything to the future Luna of the pack without her consent?”

“Yes, yes I do” I nodded 

“Really?” he asked in disbelief. 

“Yes. No.” I sighed “I don’t know.”

“All we’re going to do is talk to him. I’ll be by your side the whole time.” 

“Promise?”

“Promise” he vowed with a nod. 

“Don’t worry babe,” said a grinning Mana as he walked into the room. “I’ll be there too” 

“Seriously?” Not that I had anything against Mana tagging along. I welcomed it actually. “Don’t you have a mate to tend to?”

“Things are still a bit rocky between the two of us. She doesn’t want to rush into anything, so we haven’t.” he shrugged like it was no big deal. Pff! Yeah. Right.

“How long has it been since you’ve found her? Like, almost two months of something?” I asked. Yes, I was trying to prolong the inevitable. Sue me.

“My mate problems - not that they are problems - are mine. Not yours. Mine.” he grinned “No quit stalling, we’ve got places to be.”

“Stalling? I’m not stalling anything.” I scoffed 

“Suure you aren’t” Cain chuckled pushing me toward the door.

With a huff I stepped out of Cain’s hold on my shoulders and stomped out the front door and down the hall. I didn’t stop till I reached the elevators. I knew I was acting like a child and I could honestly careless. No matter how much I wanted information from Isles I still really, really did not want to meet him in person. A simple phone call would have sufficed. Was that too much to ask for? Was it too late to ask for? Yes. Yes, it was too late. And it sucked! Big time.

Both Cain and Mana were chuckling under their breath once they met up with me. Bastards. I shrugged off Mana’s arm after he slung it over my shoulders. They sucked and I did not want them touching me. He just shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. 

“I am so happy that none of the other girls can have pups anytime soon.” Mana sighed as we rode the elevator down to the bottom floor. “Cause if you were all pregnant at the same time, I’d want to shoot myself.”

“Keep talking, Mana” I smirked “I may drive you nuts now, but just wait till your mate gets pregnant, you’re going to have your hands full.”

“I highly doubt anyone can be as hormonal than you”

“You did not, just call me hormonal.”