Chapter 44

Chapter 44

After sitting there for a few minutes, I got up and went in to my 3rd hour class.  Once I opened the door and entered, there was no more by a whisper in the room; all eyes went to me as I took everything in.  They kids, the classroom, and finally the teacher as he stood on the other side of the room by his desk.  I could tell I just interrupted him from speaking.

Silence.  Then: "Miss. Higgins," I heard the man say to me, his eyes in mine as he addressed me.  "Welcome," he said, face blank.  "Please, take a seat," was all he said, his eyes looking me over with no interest.  From where I stood across the room, the students between us staring, I took him in.  Mr. Harris looked to be in his 30s or so, his hair ginger as his skin was pale white.  He was rather skinny as well but tall.  His face was thin, eyes a light color I could see.  I looked away to the other students after he said that, looking among them for a seat. 

Taking a shaky breath, I walked towards the only open one.  Looking at the kid I would be sitting next to, I saw his eyes already trained on me and observant.  He had this snotty look, his posture different; he sat tall and oh so mighty.  He didn't change his facial expression by the time the whispers started and I sat down. 

When I sat down, I looked ahead and saw Mr. Harris still standing there.  His eyes were on mine.  "Tell us, my dear, why are you here Albany?" Mr. Harris said, eyes and voice loud directed at me so everyone could here this.  My head started hurting again.  I mean, was there one class that could go by without the impulsive need to hit someone run through me?  I guess not because his hardened face softened and that was when I saw amusement. 

The room was totally silent.  Looking around before back to him, I was surprised I answered seriously and without sarcasm.  "This was the only school that would accept me.  However now that I am here, I see that is not the case."

He nodded but went on.  "Okay well I meant overall, what is your goal here in school or in this class?  You're life?"

"Is it any of your business?" I asked, pointing that out.

"I think it might help us understand you a bit better.  Most here are having a hard time." He chuckled under his breath.  Prick.

"Shocker," I murmured.  "I'm here to amuse my fellow students.  I'm doing a great job at it." I said with obvious sarcasm.  I went on with sincerity though.  "And with your class, you tell me what my goals are.  What are you going to be drilling in my head, teacher?"

He didn't smile.  He looked pissed off.  Hell, I was pissed.  He was trying to make a show out of me and it was working with a few snorts and sneers.  If it was with what I said or at me, I don't know.  He clearly wouldn't have been fine with harassment towards me. 

He started to slowly walk around the class casually.  His eyes never left mine though.  "Depends on how much has already been drilled.  According to your past, it should have been more often.  I personally think you would be better off in a school especially for you're kind."

Translation: a mental hospital.  Students seemed to get the joke as they laughed at his words. "Thanks, because I wanted your opinion," I snapped back, sitting up more and staring at him hard.  He wants to fuck with me, fine.  I'll be polite and return the favor.  The students around me also showed what they thought from the gasps or embarrassed laughs.  I smirked up at Mr. Harris. 

His face blank, he told me in a flat voice, "May I see you in the hall for a moment?"  It was more of a demand than a question. 

Groaning, a scowl forming deep upon my stubborn lips, I stood up quickly and pushed my chair back, heading for the door in an instant.  Swinging it open, I stepped out in the hall and a moment later, I heard him tell the class he would only be a moment and to start working on something.  His eyes meeting mine as he stepped out, he shut the door and faced me in the empty hall.