Playing with Fire - Part 3

13 hours earlier

Tiffany

The wind brushed the small strands of hair that had escaped my now dishevelled doughnut bun as Theodore sped down the road. The sun was blazing, birds were singing, the windows wound down... It seemed like a perfect day.

My wrist felt like it was on fire and I could already feel the throbbing pulse from the growing swelling. The only comfort I had was the tight grip of Theodore's sturdy hand clasped around mine when he wasn't changing gears. He rubbed small circles on the back of it and I had to close my eyes, regretting the fact that I ended things with him and we were no longer together.

Seeing his affection towards made me feel sick with guilt.

I thought I could play these games and get away with them, but it was a dumb move on my part. I trusted someone I knew absolutely nothing about just to spite my ex who had hurt me. That wasn't me. That wasn't who I was. I never used to be about revenge. If someone f*cked me over, it was a simple 'deuces, god bless and be on your way.'

I wondered where down the line I had lost myself. I was turning into the girl who I used to despise. But I was done with it. I slowly untangled my hand from Theodore's and saw him look over at me from my peripheral vision.

"Stop the car," I croaked.

He either didn't hear me or was pretending he didn't as he continued to drive.

I turned to him, "Stop the car, Theodore."

He turned to me briefly and my eyes ran over his beautiful face. His knotted eyebrows and tight jaw expressed a baffled look. "What?"

"Stop the car!"

The frown deepened as his eyes scanned me over, in search for some sign of a joke. When he finally saw that I was serious, he pulled his bottom lip into his mouth and glanced at his rear view mirror before signalling left. I let out a deep breath and waited for him to pull over. When he did, I shakily reached for the door handle with my good hand and got out. Flustered, I began walking away from the car, needing to get as far away as possible.

However I didn't get far before a hand wrapped around my arm and yanked back until I was spun around and face to face with him. "What's your problem?" He asked keeping a firm grip as I tried to snatch my hand back. His eyes chased mine for some explanation as to why he was standing in the middle of the street with me. It was here where I noticed the slight eye bags that shadowed his brown eyes and the crease in his forehead which seemed to always emerge whenever I was around. I could see that this whole situation was weighing him down which only added to my guilt.

"I'm the problem, Theodore," I replied trying my best to avoid the emergence of my pending tears of anger. "As usual I have you cleaning up my mess and it's not fair. This is all my fault." I pointed to myself not caring that the people walking by had started watching us curiously.

"He broke your wrist Tiff. Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault." Theodore shook his head, his grip on my arm still intact.

"No. You don't understand. It is my fault. I deserved this." I raised my arm and I could see that my words were pissing him off.

He paused and watched me intently, "Did he threaten you?" he asked. I grabbed my temples in sheer frustration. He wasn't listening to me. "Because if he did, don't worry about-"

"I'm not the victim, Theodore!" I shouted cutting him off.

His eyes squinted as he now watched me in annoyance, "What the f*ck are you talking about, Tiffany?"