A Night Out

29th March 2041

Nick's POV

Sleep, drink and study.

That's all I've been doing for the last eight weeks. Eight whole weeks now since Lani had left, and the pain hasn't seemed to ease. I know that it was the best thing to do, but it still hurts. If only I didn't have to break her heart to do it. And the best thing for me to do was to drown myself in study, and of course, alcohol. It's been the only way I could get through this, to block everything else out and just stay on my own.

Last week made it worse, when I actually left the confines of my house, the day when dad told us that he was sick. I don't think any of us would cope if anything happened to him. He's always been the backbone of the family, he's meant to be the strong one. Now, it's like he literally has a bomb set to explode in his chest. That bomb, his heart. That has now added to the pain that consumes me, it's like I'm being punished for everything and it's slowly taking its toll on me.

I lay on the bed, my eyes starring up to the ceiling, my body stretched out over the blankets. I've been like this for most of the day and I just can't seem to want to move. Only if I have to use the toilet I get up, I just can't be bothered to do anything. The only sound in the house was that of Nanna's clock, and that of someone now knocking on the front door. Glancing at my phone, I had about five missed calls and six texts, I put that on silent, I am not in the mood to talk to anybody. The longer I prayed to whoever was here to leave, the louder the knocking had got. Groaning loudly, I rolled over to the side of the bed and got up. My body aching from laying for too long in the same position. Dragging my feet slowly, I made my way to the front door, where the knocking was so loud my ears were ringing from the sound.

"WHAT!" I snapped as I opened the door fast and wide, the person standing on the other side just raised his brows.

"Now that is not a very nice way to greet your big brother." I rolled my eyes at Brax and turned around, leaving him standing there. Once I entered the living room, I collapsed onto the couch and waited for whatever the hell he wanted.

"What do you want?" I asked him as I heard him enter the room not even a minute later. It was nice and peaceful here, alone. Maybe I should've stayed on the bed and let him knock until he gave up and left. But I knew that wasn't going to happen, he would've stayed there and knocked all damn night. Or even yet, went to Mum and Da's and got the key and let himself in. He's done that before.

"Just thought I'd pop in and see you." I saw the frown on his face as he walked around the couch and stopped in front of me. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly before looking up at him.

"I'm fine, you don't need to check that I'm okay everyday." I yawned tiredly, an annoying sigh came from his lips before he sat down. He has been coming here everyday this week and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I bet it's mum making him come here , I haven't talked or seen them since we all got together for Autumn's day.

"You don't look fine, Nick." I could hear his eyes roll from here.

"I've just been swamped with study, that's all. You can tell mum I'm still alive." Well that wasn't a lie, I've been doing way too much to keep my mind occupied. That seems to be the only thing that is making me wake up and not just spend my days in bed. And if I keep doing as much as I have been, I'll be finished sooner which would be great. No more years of having my head in study mode and actually putting all that shit to good use.

"Maybe you should get out of the house for the night. You're still in the same clothes that I saw you in on Monday." He was pretty much telling me to go out, not just suggesting it. I looked down at what I was wearing, a pair of track pants and a loose top. It's comfortable and I couldn't have been bothered finding anything else. It's not like I am going anywhere or impressing anyone, I can do whatever I like in my own home.