The Cellar (17)

Chapter 17

Clover’s POV

“Thank you,” she said, smiling gratefully as I pulled up outside her house.

“No problem. Just make you take care and call me if you need anything.”

She smiled again as she got out of the car, “I will, thank you.” We said goodbye and I watched her walk into her house before driving off. My skin was crawling from when she sneezed in the car and I couldn’t relax until I’d showered so I went straight home.

After a quick shower I got in my car to return to work. On the way I stopped at the shops to get the wool my girls had asked for. There were groups of people walking the streets with posters of Lily. I recognised Lily’s ex boyfriend, Lewis straight away; he was all over the news all the time. He was a s*it boyfriend to her anyway, she’s much better off with me; I’ll treat her properly and protect her.

I was about to get back in my car with the wool when Lewis and Henry stopped me. “Have you seen Summer?” Lily’s brother asked me, holding up her picture. It was a beautiful picture of her at the beach smiling.

“I haven’t seen Summer, I’m sorry,” I replied politely. I have however seen Lily.

Both their faces fell in disappointment. “Okay,” Lewis said with a sigh. He looked tired, maybe if he spent a little more time with his girlfriend he wouldn’t be in this situation. He deserves to lose her after letting her walk around alone at night! “If you do see anything please let the police know, we just want her back,” he said, looking completely broken.

“Absolutely. I really hope you find her soon.” Lewis stared at me for a second, like he was trying to read something in my eyes. I stood still and didn’t blink.

He sighed again, “Right thanks.” I smiled and got in my car, I couldn’t help noticing that he was still watching me so I quickly drove away.

After I showered and changed into a matching suit I went back to work. There weren’t many people here, I think most had gone home; no one was in the mood to work. I sat at my desk and started on the huge pile of paperwork I had.

I heard Marie talking to outside my office; apparently David had been taken to the police station for questioning. I sat back in my chair and sipped my coffee. I know it’s not over, there will be more questions but at least the police will be concentrating on David and he deserves everything that’s coming.

The remaining people left work an hour earlier so I left with them. My girls wouldn’t have dinner ready for another hour and a half so I went to the next town, to the hostel. I parked my car and waited as usual. After fifteen minutes I saw her, she was beautiful. It had taken so long but finally I’ve found Heather.

I watched her for a minute as she packed up her things in a tiny bag, her dirty hair stuck to her face and her clothes torn. She started walking away from the hostel so I followed a little way behind her until we were out of sight.

“Heather,” I called as I stopped the car just in front of her.

She looked up and gripped her bag. “Sorry, you’ve got the wrong person.”

I smiled and walked over to her, her eyes widened and she seemed to shrink. Why is she scared of me? “You’re Heather,” I said as I grabbed her. She started screaming so I clamped my hand over her mouth and held her tight against my chest.

She was light and didn’t put up much of a fight, she’s probably tired and hungry, she’ll be fine when I get her home and get my girls to take care of her. I opened the car door and pushed her inside. “Sit still and don’t try anything,” I growled. I needed her not to draw attention to us, I’ll go the back way home so no one will really see us but she still needs to behave.