Frankenstein's Bride

Chapter 10: Frankenstein's Bride

Will’s P.O.V

            I let out a loud yawn as I came into the kitchen. My dad was there reading his paper with a cup of coffee. He looked up at me, and almost fell of his chair of surprise.

“I could have sworn we were Saturday today.” He muttered after regaining his balance.

“You thought right.” I said in between two yawns.

“Then… why are you awake? It’s only 7.30 a.m.”

“Yeah, and?” I asked shrugging my shoulders.

“You never wake up before 12 on weekends. It’s… It’s like a law!”

I chuckled at his astonished look.

“I guess Tampa has a good effect on me.”

My dad’s mouth was still slightly open and he was frowning. It looked like he was trying to figure out what kind of joke I was playing on him.

“I’m meeting someone at the beach today, and she told me to be there at 8 a.m, so I woke up early. It’s not the end of the world.”

My dad closed his mouth and his frown turned into a smile.

“Ooh a girl, huh? So what is she like?”

“Dad, you know I can’t have feelings for a girl. I’m a cupid, remember?”

“Rules were meant to be broken son! And I never understood that stupid rule anyways. You’re supposed to spread the love, and what better way to do that then to fall in love yourself?”

My dad and I had had this conversation several times. He had found the love of his life in my mom, and he couldn’t understand why I wasn’t angry at the elders for not letting us cupids have the same thing they had. We fought about it a lot, but nobody ever won. He just couldn’t understand the honor it was to be chosen to be a cupid.

I decided to change the subject before another one of our arguments broke out.

“I’m going to see one of the girls that I’ve been trying to set up.”

“Ok,” My father murmured. “Do you want me to take you there? I’m going there anyways.”

I nodded gratefully, happy that he had let the subject drop. We both walked over to his car after I stole some bread from the cupboard. The only thing I could hear while we were driving was the engine of the car, and me munching.

Me being a cupid was a sore spot for my parents especially my dad. He tries to joke about it, but whenever these arguments happen I realize how much he resents it. The only reason mom and him where together in the first place was thanks to our work! And then he goes and insults the Elders.

My dad cleared his throat, which brought me out of my internal conversation.

“So… What’s this girls name?” He asked tentavily.

“Lena.”

“And what technique are you using to make her fall in love?”

“The usual. Just showing her the right direction to go.”

He nodded and said:

“Ok then. Well here we are. I’ll just drop you off here and call me if you need a ride back home. Good luck!” I got out and he drove away.

I turned towards the Ocean. It was rougher then I had seen the days before, and there was some wind blowing, which made the sand dance slightly. There weren’t many people outside today, which was surprising for Tampa.