Empty(1)

A/N: sorry it took so long to upload this chapter...ive been finding it hard to get to a computer :( *Puppy dog Eyes* FORGIVE ME /:^/

***************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of beeping,I quickly opened my eyes and instantly regretted it. The hospital light was blindingly bright. OK OK Nathan slowly open your eyes....great it worked. Looking around I wonder how I got here. Why don't i remember getting hurt, or attacked or in an accident.

My eyes travel to my stomach and I notice a scar. Where did this scar come from, i wonder why i don't remember it. I let my eyes travel to the ledge beside the window and i see a necklace. Didn't someone give me that necklace, looking closer i see the initials C.R.

Suddenly everything floods back, the exhibit,the car crash, O MY GOD DAD! Looking around the room I find the nurse signaler and quickly pull it, my ears open and listening to any signs of footsteps. The anxiousness eats away at me as i wait for someone to answser the call.

In minutes a nurse comes running into the large room. She looked to be in her thirties, fair skin, kind of on the smurf side.

she walks in the room looking a little shocked. "Mr. Reed we weren't expecting you to come to for a couple more days."her voice above a whisper.

Not caring about myself at the moment I asked the question that was pounding in my brain. "Where is my dad?" I asked.

The nurse looked around the room trying to avoid my eyes.When she did that I freaked out, why wouldn't she answer me? " just tell me if he's OK,please!" She looked like she wanted to bolt out of the room, haha scew that."where is he, I need to know!"

She started to say something but stopped herself and started again " ill go get the doctor he will explain everything." She quickly started exit the room, her long hair flowing out in waves after her. Hell no, what happened to my dad I thought, I was seriously freaking out "tell me what happened" I yelled. Too late she had already exited the room. I tried to run after her but the second my body left the bed pain flared in my stomach. Shit, I thought.

The bitch left me laying there for about twenty minutes. During that time I got a good look at the room I was in. The walls were white and were decorated with little flowers. The floors were a creamy, whitish color and were speckled with bits of other random color. I look at the machines around the room and cringe as I realize I used to be connected to all of them.

Tired of looking around the room I look at my body and notice that I have a series of almost invisible there so small stitches. I thought to myself 'well I'm alive so my dad must be to right...right?'

When I finished my self observation a familiar tall,broad shouldered guy walked in id say he was in him late thirties maybe. He looked me over a little surprised " Mr. Reed...umm... we weren't expecting you to come to for a few more days." He said looking a little shocked." I'm your doctor by the way." No shit Sherlock.

"Is my dad okay?"

He looked down, his brown hair falling into his face, when he moved it out of the way I glimpsed something. I glimpsed sympathy and sadness, WHAT IS SO DAMN SAD AROUND HERE! When he saw my confused face he turned around not facing me.

Ugh I'm so tired of this, people stop sidestepping me. Getting up out of the bed quickly I wince, my abdomen hurt like hell. Ignoring the pain I stood up and grabbed the doctor by his shoulders and turned him to face me. Why does he look so freaking familiar.

"What the hell happened to my dad!" I said angrily,shoving the doctor into the wall so he had no choice but to look at me.

The doctors expression softened" Mr. Reed, I'm sorry but Cody did not survive the accident. He died in the accident a two weeks ago." I let him go, Oh my god no no no no no not my dad, this isn't happening. This can't be happening. Wait did he say two weeks ago.

"Umm doctor how long have I been in here?" I asked looking alittle worried.

He looked at me and gave a small frown" Mr reed-" he started but I cut him off "please call me Nate or Nathan." I stated looking down at the floor.

He started again " Nathan you've been in here for about two and a half weeks. When you were brought in u needed surgery and a blood transfusion fast." He said looking like he was going to cry.

"As for Cody, he died about an hour after the crash" He said his voice cracking a little.Wait a minute didn't he just use my fathers name, how did he know my fathers real name, rarely anyone knew and why is he so sad I wondered. I decided to find out " umm doctor," I started turning my head upwards to face him " how do you know my fathers name?"

He gave a small smile " Me and your father were really good friends, we went to college together. I actually help out at his art studio. Funny last time I remember seeing you u were Thirteen and covered in paint." He said as if he was reliving some old memory.

I wondered when he helped my dad. " Weird I don't remember you helping him, to be honest I can't remember much of anything less than what's urgent." I said scrunching my eyebrows together.

He gave a small chuckle and said" that's normal, your were comatose for a while, and i dont thing the meds we gave you are going to help much. Let me give you a hint, some of the artwork in the studio was done by me." He said staring at me. He did some of the artwork I though to myself, think Nate think. Wait there was this one portrait of a woman with different initials, the initials were......M.W. .

Michael Wren! Thats who he is, "Holy crap uncle Michael its you." I said smiling happily

At this he gave a small laugh and smiled" Nathan u remembered, though u know I'm not your uncle right?" He said eyeing me curiously. Well of course i know i dont have amnesia or something.

I gave a small laugh of my own "Yeah I know, its just I've always called you that because you were like an uncle to me." I haven't seen him in like forever my dad-... my dad oh my god, I thought, I killed my dad. " umm uncle Michael, how is it that my father died in the accident and yet I survived?" I asked tears prickling in my eyes threatening to spill over.

Michael frowned and started "The official report stated that, when you two were pulled from the wreck his body was laying over yours," His voice got lower and uneven as he continued " from what the report said and what I know about your father, when the car smashed into the other your father covered your body with his. He took the worst of the damage and while yours were still pretty serious you survived. Your father saved your life Nathan."

When he finished he got a call from another patient. " Ill be back to check on you soon." Giving my one final look he smiled to himself " I never noticed until just now but you look exactly like your father."

When he exited the room I slumped back into the bed all energy I had left had dissipated. I thought of what Michael had said, 'your father saved your life Nathan'.

At this I started to cry the tears falling down my face like a waterfall, why the hell am I' alive when it was my own selfish actions that caused my fathers death. I cried for hours, not sure what part of the pain in my chest was from the accident or the heartache of losing a father.

Only one thought replayed in my head,

Why am I alive.

Or mabye the bigger question is

Why did he save me,

me the selfish asshole of a son who killed him.