Oh, he's just my deadbeat chicken baby daddy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Picture of Zephyr on the side (she's in second half of chapter)--> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What's your favorite color?"

"Black... like my soul."

I raised an eyebrow at Parker's response, and he just shrugged and flicked some hair out of his eyes. I sighed and scribbled the answer down on the napkin I'd grabbed from a nearby table, along with the red ballpoint pen I was using.

I asked Parker a couple more, one-answer questions before moving onto the more in depth questions that were typed out on the sheet.

"What do your parents do for a living?" I asked, clicking my pen uncomfortably. Paulie's, and the crowd it attracted, didn't exactly put me at ease.

"My dad is a CEO," Parker replied, crossing his arms over his chest, "He works for a publishing company."

"What about your mom?" I prodded as I scribbled his answer down.

"She's dead."

My head snapped up, and I stared at Parker with wide, shocked eyes. I had no idea how to respond to news like that. So, my brain decided to reach for sounds that didn't quite form into coherent words. "I.. The... Wha..."

Parker burst out laughing, which made me even more confused. But after a moment of thinking he was crazy, I understood what was going on. My eyes narrowed, and I started to slap Parker on his shoulder, since he was bent over laughing.

"I thought you were serious!" I cried, mentally kicking myself for being so gullible. "Parker, that's so not funny!"

"Then, why did I laugh?" Parker retorted, and he sat back up with a wide smirk on his face. I bit the inside of my cheek and set my jaw in a firm scowl. Parker rolled his eyes and said, "My mom and dad are divorced, and she lives in Hong Kong for work. I live with my dad and stepmom, who stays home and looks after my four-year-old half-sister."

"That's a normal answer," I stated, writing it down. I checked the time on my cell phone, and I saw that I didn't have much longer before I was going to need to head home. "We only have time for a few more questions," I informed Parker as I tucked my phone back into my pocket, "I have to go soon."

"So, is it my turn?" Parker asked, and I gave him a confused look. "Is it my turn to ask you some questions?" Parker clarified, "I mean, it's only fair for me to pick your brain since you got to do mine."

Unfortunately, the guy had a point.

"Fine," I said with a sigh, "Go ahead and ask away."

First, Parker went through the generic questions. He asked about my favorite musicians, favorite movies, books, and foods. Then, Parker took a sharp turn to the personal.

"Are your parents divorced?" Parker asked, and my head snapped back in surprise.

"My, aren't you blunt?" I muttered, and Parker shrugged like he didn't care. I bit the corner of my lip and answered, "No. My dad owns and manages a couple of restaurants and my mom is a professional matchmaker."

"Wow," Parker commented, folding his hands in his lap and raising his eyebrows, "That sounds fantastic. I bet you go out a lot."

"You have no idea," I muttered, rolling my eyes. It was then that I noticed Parker wasn't writing down any of my answers to the questions he was asking. "Shouldn't you be jotting the things I'm saying down?" I asked.