Toujours la pour toi

Apologies that it has taken me so long to update. Between uni committments and two jobs, I have an 80-hour week. Hopefully, today’s extra long update makes up for it. Like most other writers, I enjoy reading reviews, so I would really appreciate it if you put in the effort to help me improve my work.

Chapter 19:Toujours la pour toi

Always There For You

By August, just enough time had passed for Hermione’s stomach to round a little more. Shopping in Diagon Alley, she would often see old school mates and others that she knew. Although Hermione’s middle had gained a few pounds, it was not always obvious that she was pregnant, and she found it amusing when she caught these people staring at her stomach as they tried to decide whether or not it was appropriate to comment.

It was one of these kinds of afternoons that Hermione came across her mother-in-law stocking up on ingredients that looked like they might be used to make some kind of a home-remedy. They stayed chatting for a few minutes, unconcerned about the passing time until Mrs Weasley mentioned Hermione’s parents.

“I told Arthur to get rid of that blasted thing – telephone, I think it’s called – but now I almost wish I hadn’t. I might have used it to contact your mother and father once in awhile, just for a quick chat. How are they going, dear?”

This struck Hermione dumb for a moment. It had made her realise that she really had no idea about how her parents were. She had not written to them, or indeed telephoned them, in several weeks.

“They’re fine....busy I expect. I’ve also been working late...haven’t really had the chance to chat with them for too long,” Hermione stammered out.

Molly swiftly patted her daughter-in-law on the shoulder.

“Don’t go working too hard, dear. You have to think about what’s best for the baby. Will we be seeing you on Sunday for lunch?”

“Sure, Molly. Fred and I will be there around eleven-thirty, if that’s alright with you?”

“Of course! Now, I won’t hold you up for any longer dear. You get on with your shopping, and I’ll see you on Sunday. Send my love to Fred.”

“I will,” replied Hermione, as she gave Molly a perfunctory hug, slightly distracted by the thoughts that their conversations had instigated. She quickly made a mental note to chat with her mother, at least, before the end of the day.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

“Fred?”

Hermione’s voice rang out through their flat, quiet but clear.

“Yeah?”

Fred’s slightly muffled reply could be heard coming from the bathroom. Surmising that Fred must be using the bathroom for its intended purpose, Hermione let him be and continued past so that she could get changed out of her work clothes.

Several minutes later, Hermione emerged to find that Fred had yet to finish in the bathroom.Finding the door slightly ajar, she briefly knocked, and before waiting for a reply she pushed the door open.

Hermione did not even know what to think of the scene which materialised before her as she opened the door. Fred was sitting on the floor, a miniature cauldron was at his feet, and an old-fashioned muggle gas mask was adorning his face, preventing copious amounts of dark purple fumes from entering his nostrils.

Seeing Hermione enter the ill-ventilated room, he immediately squawked and ran at her gently but efficiently ushering her out of the bathroom. Shutting the door behind him with one hand, he pulled the mask from his face with the other hand.