Nerve Racking -Chapter 2

“Nerve Racking”

            I was gaining speed running up a stair well. I glanced up and noticed that the man had burst through the door that led to the roof. I skipped over the last flight and burst through the door. The man was running to the left across the roof top. I turned on the spot and chased after him. I then noticed that I had the same hand gun in my right hand. Its weight seamed to get heavier and heavier after each kill. The man soon reached the edge of the roof top and stopped quickly frantically looking left and right to see if there was a way down. There wasn’t.

            He turned to face me and held up his hands and scream, “Please don’t do this!”

            I slowed down and stopped eight feet from him with the gun in hand hanging at my side. “I’m sorry, but it has to be done,” I stated.

            The man took a good look at my face and looked into my eyes. He must have seen something. “Why you are no more than a kid,” he said.

            “Sorry to disappoint,” I said and started to raise the gun up towards him.

            “No please! God have mercy!” and the man turned on the spot and stepped off the edge of the roof.

            I watched in slow motion as he disappeared from the edge plummeting down to the side walk below in the city. I though as I turned to head back to the door how much less pain it would have been if he took the bullet in the head. This was the first time that my mark was so afraid of me that they took their life rather than facing me. Maybe he didn’t want to burden my soul with another kill. Maybe he was crazy. My head as racing with these thoughts as I walked back into the building and slammed the door.

            I opened my eyes and was looking at my ceiling that has been there every morning for the past eight days. I closed my eyes just to star at the inside of my eye lids and then opened them again. I then realized that I had awoken from another dream but this one was different from the one that I had all the previous nights. I didn’t shoot this man but he jumped to his death.

            I rubbed my face and sat up at the edge of my bed. I looked down and realized that I fell asleep in the clothes that I had on. I jumped to a start and remembered what had happened last night. I took a man’s life not directly but it was my fault. I had a reason to though because they were going to kill me. Was I wrong for it then?

            I stood up and walked over the bathroom and undressed and stepped into the shower.  The cold water felt amazing once again on my skin. I don’t really know why I love the cold water but it feels at home on my skin. I washed my face and glanced down at my right calf. There imprinted on my skin was the mysterious tattoo. I tried washing it off like I did every morning but it stuck there, as firm as the Rocky Mountains out west. I finished up and turned the water off and dried myself.

            I then pulled my clothes on and thought that I couldn’t stay here anymore from what happened last night. I knew I had one more night but it was better that I didn’t linger around. That group could have more members and might try to look for someone who was responsible. I doubled checked the room to see if I had everything I needed. I felt my pockets and remember that I don’t have anything there anymore. My passport burned, my money taken even though I could have gotten that back and my gum was chewed.

            I grabbed the room key that I left in the room all the time and walked out the door and down the hall.  I then reached the parking lot and stopped in my tracks. I noticed a police car in the parking lot parked right in front of the office. My eyes then looked from the car to the office door which was open. I then looked through the window and noticed an officer was chatting to the woman that was there yesterday morning.