EPILOGUE: In Which She Lives

******************************************

a/n: Sorry for the wait. Anyway, this is exactly two years after. Quite a bit has changed...

******************************************

“Hi, Mum. Brought you a few hydrangeas. See how gorgeous they look?” Getting to my knees, I placed the bouquet of purple and pink flowers on the ground and picked up the wilting ones off the marble plaque. What with the rain and the fact that I hadn’t been to the gravesite in over two weeks, they were deader than a doornail. Plus, they reeked something awful. It was shameful.

A shadow fell over me. Looking up, I smiled.

“I didn’t think you’d come.”

Gingerly, Grace knelt beside me. The scent of her perfume was welcome, like an old friend. I hadn’t seen her since last weekend and she looked gorgeous. Her long hair had been cut into a pixie bob, little wisps of newly-dyed raven-black hair framing her ears. In her black pants suit, she reminded me of a very fashionable black widow spider.

“I haven’t been here in a while,” she said quietly. “May I?”

I handed her a bunch of hydrangeas. She placed them on the plaque.

“How’s Pat?” I asked after a long silence had elapsed.

“Good. He’s with Yelin. You know, the Korean au pair? She’s wonderful with him.”

“I should swing by. Alone, this time. I don’t want him to learn any more bad words.”

To my surprise, Grace let out a giggle. “It’s still under debate whether or not he said cunt. He only has two teeth, Amor.”

“Do you need any teeth to say cunt?”

“Goodness, we’re cursing on Mum’s grave. What’s come over us?” But she was smiling.

“I think Mom would be happy that we’re cursing together.” Grace and I had become best friends over the past few years. I used to think that that could never happen but somewhere along the line, it did. And I was thankful.

Grace looked away. “Milton wants full custody. I’m scared.”

Ah, so that’s it.

I took her hand in mine and squeezed. “You have the best lawyer in the city, Gracie. You’re not going to lose.”

“But what if –”

“Come on. Let me buy you lunch. You look amazing but the bags under your eyes ruin the finishing effect.”

 ***

“Shut up,” I hissed, laughing as he pulled me onto his lap. “The point of this exercise is not to get caught.”

Ashton’s hands ran down my back. “Then where’s the fun in that, babe?”

It was getting chilly, as it would at eight o’clock at night outside. The few lampposts in the park cast a dull glow on their surroundings, slightly illuminating the jungle gym, see-saw, merry-go-round and various benches. Faint laughter echoed in the wind, letting us know that there were still other people enjoying the park.

“You’re right,” I whispered into Ashton’s ear, running my tongue down the side of his neck. “This is going to be one of my favourite chapters.”