Chapter 6 - King Clai

"Are you sure this will work Dak?" asked Dulain as they positioned themselves on the dragon's back.

"No."

"What?"

"Only kidding."

"Are monks allowed to make jokes?"

"They are when certain elves have been making too many jokes about haircuts and carrying extra weight."

"Point taken, oh diminutive one."

"If you want your ears to remain pointy I'd suggest you knock that off," muttered Dak.

"Now, now children," rumbled Kwil. "Let's not fall out shall we? It's only going to be a short journey. Hold on tight, for if you let go you will be lost in the dark depths, and there are far worse things down there than the occasional pike."

Kwil moved to the edge of the lake and pushed into the gentle waves lapping the pebbled shoreline. As the water rose, a shimmering bubble of air enveloped them and the dragon swept into the depths, his powerful tail propelling them along.

Sorenna inspected the bubble and smiled. "Good spell Dak, I'm glad one of us can cast in these waters."

"Let's hope it holds long enough to get us to the city," said Dak.

As they descended, the waters darkened, the pale blue darkening to an inky night that sucked all heat from their bones. Ghostly shapes drifted past as they traveled on, ethereal shapes beckoning from the mists of time.

Once a massive pair of eyes opened in front of them, beacons of bright like shocking their retinas as the dragon veered sharply to avoid multiple sets of razorlike teeth.

"I don't even want to know what that was," said Dulain, his teeth chattering with cold and fear.

Edoran leaned forward. "I think I can see something."

A faint blue glow lit the way ahead, a dome of blue energy pulsing like a heartbeat in the depths of the lake.

"The City of Ai," breathed Sorenna. "Clai, I'm coming."

"Queen Sorenna, I think we may need to use the daggers." Dak held the dagger of his people in a vice-like grip, the jewel glowing in the blackness. Sorenna reached to her hip and withdrew the blade she had taken from the statue. Her jewel remained dark.

"Damn it. Dulain, you try."

"Me?"

"You're an elf. The daggers were given to the dwarven and elven people to hold until we could try and raise the city once more to the light."

Sorenna passed the dagger to the elf, an expectant look on her face. Dulain held the dagger, but again nothing happened. "Edoran, you try."

As Dulain made to pass the dagger, their hands touched. The jewel lit brightly.

"It needs both of you this time. Both, keep hold, we're approaching the shield."

Kwil stopped at the edge of the shield, his claws sinking into a thousand years of mud and bones, bare rock visible on the other side of the energy shield.

He looked over his shoulder at his passengers and Sorenna nodded, motioning to the dragon to go through.

Setting his shoulders, the dragon took a step forward and his head disappeared.

~

The four passengers froze as the dragon's shoulders went rigid for several long moments, but relaxed again as they felt him breathing. After a few more seconds he moved forward, the shield sliding like water over his scales. As it hit the bubble of air protecting them, the edge shimmered like sun on the surface of a pond, and then they were through.